Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Oct 2000 01:00:42 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Heater housing access
Comments: To: Ed Mellinger <meed@MBARI.ORG>

At 00:22 10/27/2000, Ed Mellinger wrote: >Since heater blowers just popped up as a topic... has anyone got a >simple quick way into the heater housing (front)?

Yes. 40 mm rifle grenade.

> Or is this A Path >With Many Turns, Grasshopper? My heater fan squeaks and at 16+ years >age I'm sure it'd LOVE a wee drop of oil... but access to it looks (from >Bentley and from poking around the periphery of the dash) like an >unpleasant all-day project. Maybe all-weekend. Any easy outs here? >Just a drop of oil!

Well first there's getting the dashboard off. Then there's getting the heater box out and split. Then there's getting the motor out of the blower housing and the fan off the motor. After that oiling it is fairly simple, there's a felt pad on each bearing to hold oil. To reassemble, reverse the above procedure.

When you decide to do it, I can send you more...er...detailed info. A good deal of it is in the archives with my name on it. Try "dash" or "dashboard" and "blower."

The Bentley removal procedure for the dash is about right except that you don't usually have to drill out the shear bolts, just grab them with sharp vise-grips. Also they forget to tell you to remove the two defroster vents on top of the dash, and it ain't coming out until you do. If you don't run into frozen fasteners it's tedious but no big deal.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"