Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:57:57 -0600
From:         "Gary2a@telusplanet.net Gary" <gary2a@TELUSPLANET.NET>
Subject:      Subject: Re: Engine Heaters
Comments: To: mruskin@PANGEA.CA

Marshall Ruskin wrote: "I looked up the reference to that - totally what we need here is that heater, but I've never seen one "in the flesh" - On page 82.25 Bentley - there is a description of the special programmable control panel for it.

Syncro listees in Canada - anybody have the BBW 46 auxiliary heater?

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy" -------------- snip ------

I've seen several of these heaters (Webasto) in Calgary, Canada. But only on one model and one year, all were 1986 syncros. I suspect that may have been the only year it was available, or it got too expensive after that. 2WD drive vanagons (and late Type 2s) in Canada get the BA6 instead. You cannot mount a BA6 on a syncro because the driveshaft is in the way. (I have an idea about how to mount the BA6 underneath the van to the right of the driveshaft is that what Derek Drew is doing?) Theoretically, you could have both types of heaters (BA6 and BBW 46), that would take care of every possible circumstance. One to heat the coolant and one to heat the air.

Eberspacher (and others) makes several small aftermarket - retrofit automotive coolant heaters. The smallest one is used on light duty diesel trucks, like the dodge ram cummins and ford powerstroke. I think the purpose is to facilitate cold weather starting when a 110 volt power is not available for the block heater. These heaters are expensive, but are a marvel of engineering. Stainless steel, TIG welding, electronic controls. There are simple propane fueled coolant heaters also, no electricity required. Will allow you to start your vehicle no matter how cold.

The BA6 is very common on 1980 - 1984 vanagons in Canada, in fact all air cooled vanagons I've ever seen in Canada have it. It is rare to see the Eberspacher auxiliary heater on 1985 and 1986 vanagons. I've never seen one from 1987 and up. By 1985 I think it cost about $1500 extra to get that option. Diesel Vanagons got the DA6 which looks identical to the BA6.

Gary Lee Calgary, Canada

BTW, I have an extra BA6 heater for sale, and several BN4s, BN2s, glow plugs etc. also.