Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:20:44 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: re What tools do you carry in your Bus on a daily basis?

Around town I carry my cellular phone as my main tool. Actually physical tools include some duct tape (the handyman's secret weapon), a cheap $10 multimeter, an adjustable wrench, a goofy looking tool with metric Allen keys on it.

For trips out of town I have a NATO ammo box that is designed to hold something like 1000 rounds of 7.62mm ammo - these boxes are great - waterproof and cost about $10! In this box I have my 8, 10, 13, 15, 17, 19mm wrenches, 1/2" driver with 10, 13, 15, 17, 19mm sockets, two Philips screw drivers, two flat screwdrivers, another $10 multimeter, spare alternator belt, spool of wire, assortment of fuses, assortment of metric bolts and nuts.

For the serious out of town, off-roading 5 hours from no where I take a larger ammo box with a spare alternator, water pump, oil filter and a points distributor and coil. Never really had to use the BIG box before, but I feel if I don't take it, I will need it!

Actually I seldom need any tools on the road, every change of the season when I do my oil change I go over every service point on the van and fix what needs fixing... looks like some CVs for the Syncro!

-- David Marshall - Volkswagen Enthusiast - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 79 VW Iltis, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westfalia -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --