Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Oct 2000 06:27:39 -0400
From:         James Creech <jacreech@VISUALLINK.COM>
Subject:      window cable noise

I think I was the one who (just recently) suggested the informative bio's for list members. You guys are getting the idea! Especially Mike Miller - very creative. Wierd, to me, is no problem, because it is entertaining (which most of us appreciate) and under the craziness lies some truthful information. I'll throw mine in as soon as I can take the time to create the mythology.

In the meantime, thanks to you all who have helped me, only two months into this list, on a couple of repair projects already. Here is my most recent one:

Repairing the power window mechanism in the driver side door, after a PO front end collision bent everything in there also. The door frame is now straight and all inside is working, except I am getting a considerable crunching sound as the window is operating. Nothing else is binding or rubbing, so I'm pretty sure it's the motor / cable assembly. No hesitation in its operation, just some funky noises. The cable guides and vertical metal stud which guides the window glass appear to be in order. The cable itself (unsheathed) seems to pass over that metal stud okay. Makes the same sound even with the glass out.

Tried and couldn't access the archives after several tries. Anyone have this problem and find a solution short of buying a new motor / cable ass'y (almost $200) - or have any clues what else it could be?

Thanks! Jim Creech 87 Westy GL Winchester VA

[text/html]