Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:34:17 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <mejoe100@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Movement "Afoot" to Re-order English Alphabet
Comments: To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>

Very few of us were ever taught the alphabet per-se. We were instead taught a little tune. When dealing with things alphabetical we do not use the alphabet, as such, because hardly anyone really knows it. We instead mentally "sing" that little tune. Apart from that little tune the alphabet does not exist. Near every man, woman and child in the US has that little kindergarten ditty planted deep within our brains and nothing will root it out. He has no chance. But, perhaps I am missing something here. The human world operates on a 10 based number system to accommodate the number of fingers we have while the computer world uses a 2 based system to accommodate the two basic digital states: on and off. Both worlds have what they want and are satisfied. Why cannot a similar arrangement be made concerning the alphabet? If computers need the alphabet to be in a certain order why not simply put it in that order *within the computer* and leave the rest of the world alone?