Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Oct 2000 22:39:31 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2d Batteries
Comments: To: Jerry McCavitt <mccavittj@mascorp.com>,
          "syncro@egroups.com" <Syncro@egroups.com>

Slightly off topic, but I sure wish the under the seat box was bigger. I am finding out that the Optima isn't really all that powerful of a battery. There is a great marine battery, the Lifeline, that sounds fantastic, but it is 2 inches wider. I would have to cut the floor out of the batterybox and lower it about 2"+. That would not be that hard to do, and the increase in power would be about 30%, with a quicker charge and nearly 0 loss of charge. But I just do not have the time and I need a battery now, so it will be another optima.

From what I hear, a true deep cell battery must have flat plates due to how brittle the best lead for deep cycle is. The coils in the optima cannot use the best lead for deep cycle. Some marine guys even say they should nopt be called true deep cycle batteries for this reason.

The Lifeline has the thick, britle plates, plus like the optima it is sealed and can be mounted on its side. The added benefits are that it can withstand far, farmore cycles of drain-down and charge up, and thus will last a lot longer. It also is better for charging with solar panels because it will accept and hold a charge much better. They claim it can sit fully discharged for a month and still be recharged and work. Still, like any battery, the deeper you drain it down before recharging, the shorter its life span...by 500 times shorter if you drain it way down. This is one reason my $165 optima only lasted 3 years with only moderate use. It still works fine for a 2 or 3 day campout, but not this timew of year and not using the heater.

Maybe I should buy the lifeline and not install it now, but just leave the optima installed. I could throw the lifeline in the back and plug it into the socket for my solar charger while at cap, and feed the system that way. Then, in about 2012, when i have finally cleared off my desk and attended to all other pending matters, i might get around to expanding the size of the battery box!

The optima just did not quite cut it for me on trips in cool/cold weather where I used the propex, unless just for overnight. The heater is almost a necessity for full enjoyment of week long camping in remote places with my six year old twins, unless in the summer. After a couple or three days, the solar charger does not provide enough recharge to keep up...due in part to the short winter days. The lifeline is 85 Amp/hr, as opposed to an exagerated rating of 65 for the optima. That should be enough. It has recessed terminals, too. You just bolt the wires to the battery. Too bad it is too big.

http://www.concordebattery.com/products/marine_rv_bats/marine_bats/gpl_24.htm

http://www.concordebattery.com/products/marine_rv_bats/marine_bats/marine_bats.htm

Maybe I should ju Jerry McCavitt wrote: > > Hi Ranier, & group, > > Check out these sites for info: > www.painlessperformance.com > www.progressivedyn.com > www.optimabatteries.com > Respectively, for the 12V energy manager, power converter, and batteries. > I'm not real sure how they connect yet, I've seen no plans. > Cheers! > Jerry McCavitt > '86 Syncro GL 15" self-Westy > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Dr. Rainer Woitok <woitok@rrze.uni-erlangen.de> > To: Jerry McCavitt <mccavittj@mascorp.com> > Cc: <Syncro@egroups.com> > Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 10:16 AM > Subject: Re: [Syncro] Misc. Ramblings > > > Hi Jerry, hi all, > > > > On Tue, 2000-10-17 22:10:07 -0400, Jerry McCavitt wrote: > > > > > ... > > > Plans are grandiose, but dig this wish list: > > > -Dual Optima Batteries, with Progressive Dynamics inteli-power converter > and > > > charge Wizard, and a Painless Performance 12V energy manager > > > > This caught my eye. Could you, please, tell us a little bit more about > > these plans and the devices involved? Web sites? > > > > Have a nice weekend. > > > > Sincerely > > Rainer > > > > '89 Caravelle GL Syncro 16" > > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > | Rainer M Woitok | Phone: (+49-9131) 85-27811,-27031 | > > | Regionales Rechenzentrum | | > > | Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet | Fax : (+49-9131) 30 29 41 | > > | Martens-Strasse 1 | Telex: d 629 755 tf erl | > > | D-91058 Erlangen | | > > | Germany | Mail: Woitok@RRZE.Uni-Erlangen.DE | > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > If you would like to modify your subscription settings (including unsubscribing), visit: > http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/Syncro