Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:45:12 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: '84 Vanagon -- Thinking of buying
Comments: To: Jonathan Lee <jrlee@MAILANDNEWS.COM>

Jon,

I have no particular opinion on the bug, but the van sounds like a pretty good deal.

Anytime you are buying a vehicle of advanced years, you can anticipate some occasional repairs. You might luck out and drive it two years without a single mishap, or you could blow the engine two hours after you pay for it.

The only real disadvantage to the Vanagon is the unfamiliarity of mechanics with its design. Even VW dealers would just as rather never work on them. Unlike practically any other car on the road, the Vanagon is a design unto itself. It does not share many parts with other vehicles, and there really weren't many made. Consequently, parts are either more expensive than you'd expect, or are dealer only items (more expensive than they have any right to be!).

One other odd thing about the Vanagon design is that, if it speaks to you, you will fall in love with it and no other vehicle will quite satisfy you ever again. Just like a beautiful but heartbreaking woman, you will lavish your Vanagon with gifts, like water pumps and tranny mounts, and it will repay you by leaving you high and dry, searching for another gift to please her/it. And you will simply obey, because you know that when she/it is happy, you're getting the best you've ever had or ever will.

Jon; if it feels right, go for it. If not, run away.

Karl Wolz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Lee" <jrlee@MAILANDNEWS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2000 8:08 PM Subject: Re: '84 Vanagon -- Thinking of buying