Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Oct 2000 16:22:33 -0700
From:         "Justin B. Jensen" <jjensen@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Two Questions - headlight improvements / automatic tranny?
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

Ric, Craig and Listees:

As Ric mentions below, 100-Watt H-3's can be added quite simply to the driving light housings on '86 and newer vans for immediate lighting gratification. I have been running this setup for many years now without a problem until recently. During a trip to the Grand Canyon not long ago I ran the high beams continuously for several hours. The added electrical load smoked my ignition switch circuit handling headlight loads as well as my headlight dimmer switch. I am not abandoning the 100-Watt H-3's (no one could after becoming accustomed to the added visibility) however, I am now waiting for the Bus Depot to deliver along with the new ignition switch and dimmer switch a relay which I will wire into the high beam circuit to carry the added load around the headlight switch, dimmer switch and ignition switch which should preclude future problems of this sort. If you are running this setup you should consider adding a relay ASAP before you end up replacing the overloaded components.

Justin

SLC Utah