Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:49:09 -0500
From:         "James S. Cohen" <jscohen@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      Headlight improvements IMHO
Comments: To: Craig Spaeth <spaeth@GORGE.NET>

Craig and all,

I agree that the stock '86 up low beams SUCKKKK!

They so drove me crazy in my old '86 westy that I almost bought Euro H-4s at $135 a side! (Fortunately it burned up before I could buy them.... 8-0 ).

But the problem lies in the lousy construction of the lights, not in the wattage of the bulbs.

I've seen what one gets with the high watt bulbs and was unimpressed.

Using higher wattage bulbs is not a great solution for two reasons:

First, doubling the wattage only increases the light output by like 1/3.

Second, brighter lights don't compensate for the poor design of the light reflectors and optics. You'll still have hot spots and poor beam distribution.

Third: I HATE being blinded by oncoming cars with high Watt bulbs! (okay, I know I said TWO reasons, but this just came to me! ;) )

There are few alternatives. The SA Quad Grille (which I sell) with Hella round Vision Plus lights or H-4s is the best.

Euro H4 replacements is second best but they are expensive and is a VW exclusive product. (I'm looking into getting a cheap source, however).

Adding aux Fog lights will also help supplement the low beams. Hella used to make an aux "low beam" light, but I don't know if they still do.

Finally, I'm now a BIG believer in using a relay and running a large gauge wire directly from the battery to the lights.

Hella claims that if the thin wire that runs through the light switch to the lights drops the voltage only 10% (which is likely, maybe more) from 13.8 volts to 12 you'll only have 67% of your lights luminous intensity!!

I didn't believe this until I burned up a couple of $50 switches in my Corrado after adding Euro driving lights and decided to try a relay on my high beams.

I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE!! It was like I got higher watt bulbs. The light color changed to bright white making the stock set-up seem yellow by comparison. And this is with the STOCK 55/60W bulbs! I then added a relay to the low beams. That was a HUGE difference.

So, try the relay first. Then move on from there.

I'm going to start selling relays and wiring harnesses to accompany my SA Quad grilles, but they'll work with the stock lights as well.

I hope this helps

James