Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Oct 2000 17:37:47 -0800
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Others' experience with ECU chip...

I haven't posted in awhile, so I've saved up my topics. Here's one:

I've been running the modified Digifant ECU chip in my '87 Westfalia now for about a week, with positive results. Avid readers of this list will recall that a group purchase was effected recently by the good graces of one of our posters, to whom I remain indebted.

The van is quicker off the line, has more low-end "grunt", faster throttle response, and generally has a bit more power. Not sure yet if gas mileage is affected, though. My engine is bone-stock, save for a low-restriction exhaust installed by the previous owner. But overall, I like the way the van now performs, compared to the stock chip. I find that I don't have to "step on it" to get results, as was the case before. The real test will be a trip to the mountains, but so far, for city driving, the chip is pretty cool!

The installation was straightforward: a hammer, torch, 46mm socket and breaker bar were NOT needed for this job, I'm relieved to report. (however, apparently those tools often come in handy when working on the rear brakes, as I'm shortly about to do :). Took about a half hour to install the chip, including cutting an opening in the metal cover of the stock chip's enclosure to clearance for the new chip.

I'm wondering what the other chip purchasers on the list think of it. I'm probably the last to have installed mine, having just returned from vacation in Europe, so others may have more time with the chip by now than I do.

As always, your feedback is appreciated in advance.

Dan Schmitz '87 Metallic Blue Westfalia, as yet un-named. (with worn-out brakes, soon to be replaced)