Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:54:06 -0800
From:         Dana Morphew <kadm@PUGETSOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Power Steering Used as Manual Steering

Ken, do you have any idea how much, if any, fluid is at the rack and in the steering gear and rotary control valve housings? Might be a good idea to disassemble the entire assembly to have a looksee and apply the right grease, (seems to me a synthetic CV grease like the Valvoline with MoS2 would do), to the moving parts and seals.

-Dana-

Ken Ehlert wrote: > > When I tried using the power steering, it needed to be topped off every two > or three days. It didn't have a belt or even a pulley when I bought it. > Spent good money on those only to remove the belt after a week or so. > > > From: Dana Morphew <kadm@PUGETSOUND.NET> > > Organization: Dana's Mobile Carpet Steam > > Reply-To: Dana Morphew <kadm@PUGETSOUND.NET> > > Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 07:54:26 -0700 > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Power Steering Used as Manual Steering > > > > Since your system is sealed, maybe just having the system bled and full > > of fluid has kept the steering gear lubed. > > > > -Dana- > > > >> > >> I have been driving my '85 Westy for 4 years with the belt off the power > >> steering pump. In those 4 years I have put about 30,000 miles in the van > >> without a problem concerning the steering. > > ... > > > >>> Does anyone have any additional information on this? Contrary to what Don > >>> was told by his mechanic, I was told be a VW dealership mechanic that there > >>> is no harm in disconnecting the power steering pump. My 86 GL that has a > >>> leaky rebuilt rack seems to steer and handle fine without power assistance. > >>> This is an important safety issue as i'm sure many of us have had to or are > >>> considering replacing or re-building our leaky power steering racks. > > ... > > > >>> "The shaft gears are completely toast", he said. > >>> "Oh my God, I just got back from SLC yesterday! That's 2000 miles round > >>> trip!" > >>> "You lucky bastard", he said..... > >>> He put the van on a lift and proceeded to show me what happens to the power > >>> steering rack when it doesn't get the required fluids. > >>> See, my van's steering pump was bad when I her. But I drove on it for about > >>> 2 years before having it looked at. > >>> > >>> So, lesson to be learned? Power steering racks sure for power steering. > >>> They > >>> will wear out Very fast if not lubricated properly, and that could cause a > >>> major accident (imagine your bus taking off in it's own direction at > >>> 60+mph!!) > >