Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:43:42 -0500
From:         "1980 VW Westfalia \"Pokey\"" <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      550 mile trip NIGHTMARE trip to Toronto (Long)

I had one heck of a trip to Toronto this weekend. It all started around 3 pm Saturday when I left Philadelphia and was rear-ended by a taxi in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Who of course didn't bother to pull over. At the time it didn't look like there was any damage, I had 10+ hours of driving ahead of me so I just kept going. Upon closer inspection the bumper seems to be angled downward more than it was. I have the taxi number and stuff but I don't think there is much I can do.

Then near Hazelton Pennsylvania the driver's side rear tire blew. I pulled as far off the road as I could but it was a protected shoulder so I had less than a yard between 70+ mph traffic and me. To make matters worse I was on the downward slope of a small hill on a curve. I got out with a can of flat fixer and dutifully set two orange triangles to warn drivers in advance.

A couple of guys in a flat bed tow truck stop and ask if I need any help, almost running over one of my triangles. I thank them but tell them I'm OK. At which point they proceed to tell me horror stories of a driver than was killed by an 18-wheeler yesterday while changing a flat. You don't scare me. I have orange triangles!

I went over to look at the tire and began to laugh. It wasn't just flat. it was SHREDDED, big hunks of rubber and steel threads everywhere and zero tire pressure. I got back in the van to put the flat fixer away and grab my jack and my one tire chock. It was pretty brisk outside so I decided to change.

My heater isn't working so I came prepared. I put on a pair of long underwear, two pair of socks, and a scuba wetsuit (excellent insulation for extended periods of cold weather). My sheepskin flying cap rounds out the ridiculous (but warm) outfit.

I got out and chocked the driver's side front tire and as I stood up I saw a police cruiser. I gave him a wave, he waved back but kept driving. hopefully he's coming back I thought. I set the jack in the jack point then decided to heed Mother Nature's call before I got started and my hands were dirty. You know where this is going of course.. "mid stream" the police cruiser shows up. I shrug off the embarrassment and tell him what is going on.

He sets out some flares just behind my triangles, turns the cherries on, and pulls in 20' or so behind the van, closer to the road so that people will have to go around him. As I work we have a great conversation. We're both around 32 years old. He's a car collector and has about 10 cars mostly classic 1970's American vehicles. He also told me a story about he was driving in his friend's diesel Vanagon and got passed by a school bus. From then on he referred to every mini van, VW or otherwise, as a Vanagon. In his entire career on the force he had never pulled one over before, no doubt because it is pretty hard to speed.

I got the spare on and was tightening the last wheel nut when the van shifted forward, he quickly cranked her down while I tried to hold the van with my lug wrench. We got the van down without further incident and I topped up the new tire with my compressor before setting out. The officer was impressed by the collection of tools I had.

So off I go again, the sun is setting and my gas gauge is getting low, but I've only gone 220 miles or so, so I can't be empty right? I pull off the highway anyway into a "Pilot" truck stop, 100 yards from the entrance I run out of gas, its an uphill slope however so there is no pushing possible. The staff are really nice though and rather than make me buy a can the lend me one that I can walk back to the van. I put in 5 gallons then pull in to top her off. She takes a bit more than 10 more gallons. In the pilot store I find one of those tiny electric heaters and a 4-connection cigarette lighter adapter, $50 US later I buy both.

I decide that I should heat up the cabin with the stove before I get going, so I go under the van to turn on the propane. I see a puddle of gasoline underneath and gas dripping from the belly tray. so much for turning on an open flame. I decide that I can't take the time to plug the leak, it has to be from the top of the tank so I'll just have to fill up more often. I set off again with my seat heater and newly purchased electric heater plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter. 100 miles from the store a fuse blows (damn no extras in my spares kit), I loose both heaters and the adapter pug melts in the lighter socket. I'm still 230 miles (a lot of which is through the Appalachians - high elevation) from home and it is now dark.

I think about the $50 in now unusable heating devices and can't stand the idea of spending another $50 on a motel. I decide to keep going. I top off the tank off every 100 miles or so and go inside to warm up every time. I cook my shoes under the electric hand dryers in the restroom so they'll retain heat. 5:00 am (4:00 am with the time change) I make it home, 14 hours for a 10-hour drive.

Thanks, Chris Gronski Toronto, Ontario, '80 Westy "Pokey" '87 Chevrolet Sprint (Ice Racer) '91 Pontiac Firefly Convertible

[text/html]