Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:16:30 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: ANUAL Coolant Change?
Comments: To: BDOSS24046@AOL.COM

Annual coolant changes are unnecessary. If everyone did this it would be a huge environmental problem as well. The problem with coolants is breakdown of the anti-corrosion additives, which takes about two years with all conventional coolants and 5 years/50,000 miles with the long life types, which are all identical and use a completely new anti corrosion chemistry.

Use 50% distilled water with the coolant if you live in a hard water area, and yes, there are companies that will test coolant. An easy test you can do yourself is to buy some pH test strips from a chemical supply house. If they show a shift to acid pH in the coolant change it.

There are also buffers you can add to the system that will neutralize acids if they are formed. No Rosion (http://no-rosion.com) is a good one, and I used it for three years before switching to the long life stuff (I may use it with the long life anyway!).

After pulling the heads on my worn out (210,000 on the bottom end) 1.9 engine I found there was no pitting on the heads at all after 110,000 miles/eight years. This period included two years on Autobahn coolant, three on Autobahn with No Rosion, and three years on the long life.

Anyone need a set of good used 1.9 heads? $200 + UPS and they are yours.

Stuart