Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:50:27 -0800
From:         Jonathan Lee <jrlee@MAILANDNEWS.COM>
Subject:      Reaching the end . . .

Hello list.

Well, my long, hard decision-making process is nearing an end. I managed to get an old '78 Plymouth Voyager van to start today, and drove it around a few blocks. It's cheap ($300), and will definitely sputter its way to Vallejo this weekend for a harpsichord-moving gig. I've bought myself some time.

Now, to decide about the Vanagon. All things considered, I still want the damn thing (I'm a masochist, I'll admit). I took the vehicle to a mechanic today, whose diagnosis was as follows: -- Pressure check: OK -- Needs new thermostat -- Needs new right-rear C/V axle (drive axle) -- biggie: $250 -- Needs new gaskets (didn't understand which ones) -- cheap (forgot exact figure)

-- Needs coolant change (it's time for one) -- Needs new rear tires -- Direct quote: "It has a good chance of running for a year with no serious problems. However, knowing Vanagons, that's ALL it will run for without work."

All-in-all, the mechanic wants $800 for the work (there are a few things not included in the above list, such as oil change . . .). I can probably get that down a little ($150-$200, probably), and can possibly talk my seller down a bit from his $1800 request. If the van really will run for a year without any further serious repairs, it might be a good thing to own.

So, my options are down to these three scenarios: 1.) Buy the Vanagon. 2.) Buy the Plymouth AND the Vanagon. Do nothing to the Plymouth, fix the Vanagon. That way, if either one of them is a mistake, I've got another harpsichord-schlepping vehicle. 3.) Buy the Plymouth and use it only for harpsichord moving. Buy another (non-Vanagon) vehicle for everyday commuting. Perhaps the earlier-mentioned '67 Beetle (at least it's a VW -- would it be reliable? The owner says it is. . . But *she's* selling the thing) or perhaps something more like a mid-'80s Subaru or Honda.

Anybody have any final suggestions?

best, Jon --- Jonathan Rhodes Lee jrlee@mailandnews.com