Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Nov 2000 21:29:00 -0800
From:         George Wietor <wietorg@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw:      Re: Re; Solar power your VW

OOPS> Thought this was the WOODENBOAT list. Sorry, my error. We sail the North Channel of Lake Huron each summer. Those Canadian mosquitos get hungry at sundown, hence the need for screening to be added to the solar vents and any other opening. These are typically snap-in vents (plastic deck plate) and by no means bullet proof. This is why I added a clear deck plate which can be screwed tight from below. Big mahog backing block underneath. Now, plastic is not proof against taking green water, either. Any opening is a potential liability on a boat. Pmail me if you want to know how why I sail a 31' boat with no through-hulls. Cuz there is no VANAGON content in this message. Can't afford these doodads on a VW, anyway.Geo. --- George Wietor <wietorg@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > Howdy-installed one in cabin top (Nicro solar vent > brand)-looks good against the teak. consider > sandwiching some sort of insect screen. Put a nice > a > trim ring on the inside for proper yacht appearance. > I > put a Nicro clear-center inspection port from the > inside of trim ring to be able to close it off > completely if needed from below decks. George > --- PSavage <psavage@SABER.NET> wrote: > > Thanks Karl, I'll look into it carefully. > > But as shipping weight, including packaging, is a > > mere 4 lbs, > > it's hard to imagine the actual weight on this 3" > > diameter unit > > being too much for a fiberglass Westy roof. > > > > And properly installed, allowing for differences > > between a > > Westy's fiberglass roof & the normal installation > of > > these units > > on sailboat cabin tops, I can't see why they would > > leak! They > > are, after all, designed for offshore boating! As > a > > sailor myself, > > & former owner of a 32' Ericson, I have much > respect > > for West Marine's > > products. And these units have been around for > > years. > > > > I intend running this by my pal & fellow listee, > Jon > > Casey, who > > is both a Westy owner & an experienced blue water > > sailor. > > As far as I'm concerned, his advice on this matter > > is sure to be > > the most reliable. > > Steady as she goes, > > Phaedra > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: Karl F. Bloss <bloss@ENTER.NET> > > > > > Just watch the weight. Chris Turner told me of > a > > van that had this > > installed > > > and it became leak central. The fiberglass > > cracked and because the fan > > unit > > > was heavy, it caused the roof to be concave and > > thus all rain and > > condensation > > > would run there, then into the cracks and into > the > > van. > > > > > > -Karl > > > > > > > Volks, I am considering installing just such a > > vent on my '85. > > > > West Marine offers a good quality line of > > stainless solar > > > > powered vents, normally sold for installation > on > > the cabin > > > > tops of sailboats. Check 'em out, they're > > gorgeous! > > > > Phaedra > > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts > has your answer. > http://experts.yahoo.com/