Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Nov 2000 21:54:06 -0800
From:         George Wietor <wietorg@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rocks and bananas,
              my adventures with importing 'Leaky' (very long!)
Comments: To: Karl Mullendore <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>

Great tale. Truly a(n) heroic saga. Could you have reached in and crimped off a radiator tube? not much room in there, I suppose. Anyone ever had to resort to crimping? Where is your shop? Sis in Rockville needs a visit from me sometime. Geo. --- Karl Mullendore <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM> wrote: > I had been wanting a singlecab transporter for some > time, to use here in > Maryland in my Westfalia/Vanagon repair business. > After passing on a > beautiful blue one in New Brunswick (too nice to use > for a work truck!), I > found what seemed to be the perfect truck, located > way over in Alberta! What > the heck, I thought, I need a road trip to get away > for a few days! So, last > Wednesday, I flew into Edmonton, and was met at the > airport by the owner, > Glen Cook, and his wife. After getting a notary to > witness the bill of sale, > Glen drove me through the edge of the big city, so > that I would not get lost > on my way out. We stopped at a light, he hopped out, > and I into the driver's > seat, and on my way I went. The truck was running > great, I was cruising with > the other vehicles out there, ahhhh, on the road > again. Then in a few hours, > I noticed steam coming from the rear, so I pulled > over to investigate. > Coolant was boiling from the overflow tank behind > the license plate. I > thought, oh well, it must just need bleeding. I > added a bit of water, got to > the next town where I purchased a pair of cheap > pliers and some coolant, and > bled the thing then and there. All was well for > awhile, when it all happened > again. This was the way I spent the next few hundred > miles. Finally, I > looked closely at the expansion tank cap, and > noticed a small sliver of > blue silicone had lodged into the cap, causing it to > stay in the partially > open position. I stopped at an auto recycler just > down the road, which of > course had absolutely NO Vanagons. Oh well, maybe an > Audi 4000 cap will > work, it will hold pressure, but vent to the > outside. That worked for some > few hundred miles. I decided to cross the border at > the town of Estavan in > Saskatchewan, and chose a entry point where there > would likely be little > problem going through. Well, big problem: the > conformity certificate had the > wrong VIN printed on it! So, I spent the night in > Estavan, and the proper > certificate was faxed to me there. In the AM, no big > deal at the main border > crossing at North Portal, except the unfriendly, > non-smiling woman there > thought for some reason I was hauling something not > good, and decided to > search the whole truck. When she came back to me > inside the office, she held > up her 'loot', two nice oranges I had just purchased > in Estavan. "Can't have > them, they are probably form Brazil or someplace > with fruit fly > infestation". Good grief, what a great gov't we > have, even protecting me > from an unsafe piece of fruit! (What jerks, I > thought, really, couldn't find > any contraband, let's take his food!) Finally, back > in the US. What a relief > to have that crossing business done with! With 200 > miles done with no adding > coolant, I thought I had the problem licked. No such > thing, as at that exact > moment, about 30 miles northwest of Minot, ND, the > temp gauge suddenly shot > up. Pulled over, and to my disbelief, the radiator > was shooting a stream > straight out into the road. The only place that > appeared to be a business in > the small town was a strip bar. Luckily, no > strippers were on at the time, > just a few normal folks sipping beers. The owner > filled about six gallon > jugs for me, to fill the truck long enough to make > it to Minot. The water > still shot from the front, so in desperation, I > searched through my > everything I had with me for something to > temporarily stop the leak. I found > my baggie of dehydrated bananas, and thought > 'perfect!'. After carefully > softening a piece in my mouth, I applied it to the > hole, and voila! No more > leak. Made it to Minot, and located a radiator > repair shop, which kindly and > carefully soldered the hole shut, even allowing me > into the shop to help > out, as they really had no clue how to properly fill > and bleed the system. > At one time, three people were on the job, and when > done, they only wanted > $40. I expressed my gratitude for dropping > everything to help me out, and > off I went. I left the coolant cap loose, thinking > that all would be better > with no pressure to cause more holes in the rotten > radiator. Once underway, > I resumed my search also for a new coolant cap, to > no avail, so continued on > the way, continually stopping every 30 to 50 miles > to refill the coolant > again, as for some reason it still wanted to > occasionally boil over. Once I > must have mistakenly tightened the cap too much, as > out in the middle of > nowhere, it blew yet another hole in the radiator. > No worries, I have more > bananas! And the service station had a bottle of > Bars' leak, not something I > would normally use in anything I own, but hey, this > is different now. > Problem is, there is no cap on the radiator, which > is the best place to add > the Bar's leak, if you want it to act quickly. So, > back inside, I got a > straw from the small restaurant, poked it through a > styrofoam cup, and added > the liquid to the radiator through the tiny bleeder > hole! Problem is, the > little pellets would not go into the straw > willingly, so I dropped then one > by one into the hole, all 400 or so of them, while > the frigid wind froze my > fingers. And, it worked! Yay! For good measure, I > also applied some more > bananas! I still needed to add coolant occasionally, > but managed to make it > all the way to Ohio, where it suddenly began to > overheat again! This, of > course, happened in a construction zone, with no > shoulders, and also just as > a traffic jam started due to an accident ahead. I > inched forward until there > was a spot wide enough that the truck wouldn't fall > off the grass shoulder, > shut it off, and just sat there, reading, snacking, > and waiting for the jam > to disperse. It did, finally, so I filled and bled > one more time. Somewhere > in the night, I began noticing something seriously > wrong, a distinct tire > vibration. Upon inspection, I found that the tread > plies were separating, > causing the tread to bulge, and the tread was worn > very thin. No worries, > again, I'll just put on the spare. Well, the lug > wrench broke. Begged > motorists for a wrench, finally finding the proper > size, and then the truck > drove wonderfully smooth again! Made it safely to > the PA turnpike, through > the tollbooth, and suddenly, once again, the gauge > shot skyward, and I > pulled over. This time, the hole that I had recently > patched blew wide open, > and spurted coolant in a stream about 20 feet from > the truck! I felt that > this was the end, I would need a tow from here, > sadly. Then MacGuyver in me > reawakened, and said "hey, there are still some > bananas, don't give up > yet!". So, I carefully cleared the rotten fins > surrounding the split in the > tube, and ever so carefully packed pieces of bananas > into the spots where > the fins once were, compressing the crack so that > the Bar's leak could seal > the hole once more. No thinking that this would > hold, I desperately searched > for something to wedge between the patch and the > sheetmetal of the front, to > ensure that the patch stayed securely. What I found > was a perfectly sized > rock, shaped ever so perfect, like it was there just > for this purpose. This > fix lasted all the way home to Maryland, although I > did need to start adding > more antifreeze/antiboil to the mix to ensure that > it would not boil > terribly driving through the mountains of western PA > and MD. And I MADE IT! > I was so thrilled to be home, and waiting there was > my wonderful girlfriend, > Pam, who had spent so much time trying every > resource and joining this > wonderful list, to coordinate help to get me safely > back home. I thank all > of you, for you offers of help, kind words, and > support, and most of all to > Pam, without her support I would have probably given > up === message truncated ===