Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:09:21 -0600
From:         "Filcoff, David M." <FilcoffD@MISSOURI.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Headlight improvements ?

>If you want to see vibration and harsh environmental conditions, take a stroll >through an operating reactor building.

I work at a nuclear reactor, so I asked. Here's the answer I got: They generally use crimp connections in locations where corrosion may be an issue. This is favored over a solder only connection for a few reasons. First, it is more difficult to get a consistently good solder joint. Second a *good* crimp is generally stronger than a solder joint. Note that these are not the so-so crimp connections that you get from your FLAPS or Radio Shack. There are much stronger crimp type connectors available, somewhat similar to the OEM crimps on a VW. A crimped and soldered joint is superior to all of the above.

Here are my thoughts and how I made my H4 wiring harness; I used the standard crimp connectors, removed the plastic casing, soldered the joint, *cleaned* the joint and covered the conn. with heat shrink. Note that some solders contain flux, flux helps the solder stick to the metal. Flux also is corrosive and must be removed from the joint, I prefer Trichloroethane, but there are other solvents that will do just fine. I soldered my joints because I don't trust the standard type of crimp connector. The down side of a soldered and crimped joint is that it is very tedious, when I redo the wiring harness on my '61 I'll be using the improved type crimps and no solder.

dave 251.org 87 Vanagon 61 Bus (6v)