Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Nov 2000 08:39:36 -0800
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Re; Solar power your VW
Comments: To: Larry Hamm <ldhamm@XMISSION.COM>

> > 15 minutes of idling is 15 minutes of idling, > > Greg, > Yes, it is. But most of us will find a reason to run the engine the > equivalent of 15 minutes a day for other reasons,

I'm glad you used the word 'most' because in my typical remote camp I don't run the engine for a week or two....

whether it be to find > a new campsite, heat the van on a freezing day, or whatever. Maybe it's > an hour's drive every fourth day. Efficient use of the aux battery > should keep it up that long. If not, then plan on spending a wad for PVs > big enough to handle whatever you're running.

all depends on how much power you use... for some it would take running the van for an hour or two a day to replace the power usage... like I pointed out in an earlier post a single 3 amp solar panel can eliminate this need to run the engine for an hour a day... cost.... about $400 with controller... well worth it to me not to hear that engine or smell those fumes while out in the wilds....

Bill