Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:32:36 -0800
From:         Bren Smith <bren@PINE.HE.NET>
Subject:      Help evaluate purchase of '87 Syncro GL

Hi All,

First time post on the Vanagon list for me, though I've been on the type2 list since the "early days". (Been around so long that I'm shaking trilobites outta my shoes). Anyway, I've been the proud owner of a few air cooled beasts in my life, and currently I own a '76 Dual Cab, but now I'm contemplating my first wasserboxer. What I'd like to know is, do you guys think this is a good deal?

Positives: ------------ o Solid body, no rust, no bondo, no cancer. o Paint is in good shape. o Interior is in good shape. o Compression is 125-125-110-130 o No visible head leaks o Air conditioner that works! o It's a 4 wheel drive, it's very cool to drive, and chicks (well, my wife) dig it!!! ;-)

Negatives: ----------- o Auto door locks are screwy, constantly trying to lock doors until you pull key out of ignition o Excess play in the clutch pedal o Under frame has surface rust (still has original MA plates), no frame cancer though. o Original coolant hoses o Has approx. 130K on it (odo broke at 70K) o Has occasional undiagnosed starting problem (fuel injectors? ECU?) o Power steering belt needs replacing. o Engine oil leaking from around the distributor O-ring. o I've never driven a Syncro before, but the front transaxle seems a bit loud. Normal, or cause to worry?

We've yet to get to the dickering part as I want to go in to this relatively informed. The owners are asking around $6K for this beast. Having owned a number of volkswagens, I know the inherent risks and the tradeoffs, therefore I *do* realize that purchasing this Van is not going to be my last investment in it. I do plan to replace the PS belt and water hoses right away, and I'm guessing that I won't have too much more time before a new engine is mandated.

So, bottom line, what do you think? Should I pass or play? Oh, and I'm located in SF Bay Area if anyone thinks that has an effect on the price.

thanks,

Bren -- Bren Smith | Your mouse has moved. Windows http://www.lene.com/contact.html | must now reboot to make this | change take effect.