Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Nov 2000 10:45:03 -0700
From:         John Klun <jklun@GJ.NET>
Subject:      My first trip...

Hi Volks!

I've owned my '84 Vanagon since 10/14 and took my first long trip with it (in excess of 50 miles one way). I had the opportunity to visit Rawls Moore, another Coloradan.

There is no direct way for me to get to Rawls' from Delta. I decided I'd try I-70 first by driving north to Grand Junction and then following it east to Rawls'. On the way to GJ, I passed? a p.u. hauling an open utility trailer that had some stones in the back that would jump off and hit my grill and bumper. I was afraid it would break my windshield. After I passed this &$#@, he must have felt I attacked his manhood by passing him in a Vanagon, so he decided to press me and sit on my tail. To keep away from him, I actually had to hit 97mph (down hill, of course)!

I got on I-70 and started east. The speed limit is 75 over most of the interstate. The Van had no trouble maintaining 75 but 80 took a little more effort. The only drawbacks were the hills- whenever I started up one, the 80 mph quickly bled off to around 65-70, depending on the length of the hill. Of course, downhill was another story. It's hard to imagine, but I-70 east bound is a very long and gradual uphill climb. So for the entire trip, I estimated I had to maintain 8/10-9/10 throttle.

The return trip was the opposite. Since it was 'downhill' most of the way, the van had no trouble maintaining 85 and I had to keep backing off the throttle to keep it at 80! This time, I decided to get off at Glenwood Springs and take the 'back road' home. This involved driving over a mountain pass and two lane curvy roads. I'm pleased to say that the vanagon was fun to drive. It had no trouble maintaining 60-65 on these curvy roads and the steep, 3 mile climb up McClure Pass resulted in 3rd gear, throttle floored and 42 mph!

I must say that this Vanagon (I think I'll call her Baby) has exceeded my expectations!