Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Nov 2000 13:38:29 -0500
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: re hot air for cold nights
Comments: cc: pavanagon@egroups.com

I just picked up a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy unit from Ace Hardware for $99.99 + tax. They had to order it for me, but when I picked it up, I saw they had ordered more for the shelves.

> two settings, 4,000 btu and 9,000 but > can hood to 20 lb external tank with propane hose

Yes...I already have a cute 5lb tank that I've been using for the propane stove with a long hose and a fitting that is the same as the disposable tanks. They tell you to leave bulk tanks outside though. I'll have to think about how to do that and route the hose.

> they advertise 6 hr of use with the 1 lb canister but don't say on with > setting... but knowing American advertising for what it is I'm sure that > would be on 4,000 btu setting so I would guess about 2 or 3 hours on 9,000 > btu setting...

Correct.

> they advertise 110 hours with the 20 lb tank and assuming that is on the > 4,000 btu mode that would mean maybe 50 hours on 9,000 btu mode

FWIW, the 4000 BTU mode cranks heat. I can't imagine wanting to run on high in a Westy.

> disadvantage of all these small canister heaters is the number of canisters > you have to buy.... and I guess you throw them away? can they be recycled???

JC Ripme sells a gizmo to fill 1 lb tanks from a 20 pounder, but they say it's not for use on disposables. However, nobody I've talked to has ever seen a 1 lb refillable, so I think it's a liability weasel warning and intended for 1lb disposables anyway.

> Could go through 10 canisters in a weekend!!! But the portability of the > Buddy heater is fantastic... just pick it up and move it around like a brief > case.

Precisely...and it's light. Piezo ignition...no batteries, no smell (even from a new unit), and you can buy 1lb tanks anywhere (albeit probably $4.99 at the campground...hit the sale at K-Mart for $1.80).

-Karl

Karl & Kristina Bloss - Trexlertown, PA '00 Wannabusser "Julia" '87 Westy Weekender "Bev" - 201K Miles '85 Westy Camper "Fred" - 39K Miles http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw - vanagon@makarov.com US West Trip 2000: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vwtrek PA/NJ/DE/MD area VW bus "group" http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/pavanagon LINUX - for IQs higher than 98