Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:53:09 -0500
From:         Graham Mingst <GRAHAM.MINGST@CHASE.COM>
Subject:      Re: re hot air for cold nights
Comments: To: Bill Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net>

Well actually Bill this heater can be used with a bulk propane tank. I am going to tap into my westy propane source. It can also draw it's air source from inside your van instead of outside air so the temperature increase is greater. As for power it comes with it's own on the self contained model, or you can plug it into the cigarette lighter. Correct me if I am wrong, but the buddy heater is not forced air or vented. So if this is the case it still produces a by product that can kill you, another that will saturate the inside of your van with moisture. If I wanted moisture I would still be in a tent. I camp with a small flammable dog and a young child. Neither of which I want to see brushing up against anything HOT. This is not the cheapest solution, a radiant dish for $20 would certainly provide enough BTU's for my heat needs, but doesn't provide the safety I was looking for. I thought about the "Buddy", but it didn't meet my needs.

Good luck with your "Buddy" Regards Graham

"Bill Davidson" <wdavidson@thegrid.net> on 11/03/2000 12:26:48 PM

To: Graham Mingst/CHASE@CHASE, vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: Subject: Re: re hot air for cold nights

> For those interested in staying warm I just got a ZODI self contained forced air > heater. I got the recommendation from the list last winter. After waiting for > them to retool the unit they re-released it recently and it is cheaper than > before. The base unit is around $150.00. It provides 10,000 btu's of hot air > with no odor, carbon monoxide, or moisture. The unit needs to be located > outside your van. They use flexible hoses that you would run into the van to > provide the heat. I have an extra mesh window frame that I will modify to > accept the hose for this. There is no thermostat, but I have figured out a way > to light it and control temperature from inside my Westy. It doesn't have all > the hands free convenience for a Carver or factory unit, but it is alot cheaper, > not a permanent install, and it is very portable, so I can take it along on cold > days when I am outside at the races, sitting around, or working under the car

Graham, this heater seems a bit complicated to me... just at a quick glance down side would seem to be: 1. the set up of it... 2. those propane canisters won't last long... probably not all night 3. a lot of heat lost outside before the warm air even gets inside... 4. having to hook it up to the battery... 5. price is higher than the "Buddy" heater described below:

New to hardware stores (Lowe's carries them) Buddy portable propane heater: truly portable with 1 lb propane canisters... pick it up by the handle and move with it! two settings, 4,000 btu and 9,000 but can hood to 20 lb external tank with propane hose price: $95

they advertise 6 hr of use with the 1 lb canister but don't say on with setting... but knowing American advertising for what it is I'm sure that would be on 4,000 btu setting so I would guess about 2 or 3 hours on 9,000 btu setting...

they advertise 110 hours with the 20 lb tank and assuming that is on the 4,000 btu mode that would mean maybe 50 hours on 9,000 btu mode

disadvantage of all these small canister heaters is the number of canisters you have to buy.... and I guess you throw them away? can they be recycled??? Could go through 10 canisters in a weekend!!! But the portability of the Buddy heater is fantastic... just pick it up and move it around like a brief case.

Still, I'd choose the Buddy over the Zodie for it's simplicity, portability, and price.

Anyone know if an 2nd propane tank like the stock Westy tank (under passenger side) could be set up to work at the high pressures of these propane canisters that are used with the Buddy heater???

Bill