Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Nov 2000 18:04:38 -0700
From:         Scott Semyan <semyan@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My first problem on the road
Comments: To: "Samuel L. Walters" <slwalters@earthlink.net>

Many people suggested checking the idle stabilizer (a la Bentley). Well, I can't tell if that worked or not. It starts but then still runs rough. If I turn it off, wait 30 seconds and then try starting again, I can only get it started by pumping the gas. I think this is what happens when the idle stabilizer is plugged in too. I may have failed to mention that I am at ~6,500 feet of altitude. That along with the cold temperatures may compound my problem. I have checked the temperature sensors both in the air flow meter and the coolant sensor and both seem right. I checked my auxiliary air regulator and I can tell that 1) it's getting power, 2) once the car is running, if I close the hose with some pliers the RPM drops (like Bentley says), and 3) just for laughs, I pulled out the hose for the aux. air regulator while my wife was cranking the engine (giving it plenty of air) with no effect. I may just order a new idle stabilizer and see if that helps (I hate throwing parts at a problem though). Also, I replaced the O2 sensor about 1000 miles ago. Could that have gone bad?

Could it be a fuel problem? Because it goes away so quickly (2 - 3 minutes) could it be that it is taking that long for the fuel pump to pressurize the system correctly? I was planning to change my fuel filter but it is cold here and the underside of the van is covered in mud. We are thinking of heading to Vegas to meet up with some friends so I may try to take care of it there. I got a lot of offers for help/and shop recommendations for SLC so I may pursue that as well.

Bottom line, the van runs fine once it is started. It just starts and runs rough for the first few minutes.

Again, thanks for all the help and responses I have gotten. This list rules.

Scott