Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Nov 2000 15:11:12 -0800
From:         Dave Bayer <daveb@CP.NET>
Subject:      Re: charcoal filter

> I believe you are referring to the vapor recovery canister. The canister is > full of activated charcoal. It is designed to recover fuel vapors and such > which would otherwise escape into the atmosphere. They last for years. Don't > exactly know how long. Perhaps someone else can answer that question. I have > vehicles that are 20 years old which seemingly still has working vapor > recovery canisters.

The activated charcoal eventually will get saturated though and will stop absorbing vapor. It's not actually easy to figure out when it saturated though - you might try sniffing the vent tube from it. If it smells like gas it needs to be replaced if you care about releasing aromatic HCs into the atmosphere. If you don't care about your HC pollution, then you needed worry too much.

I suppose the charcoal canister once saturated could become explosive (with a mixture of oxygen and gasoline fumes though I'm not exactly sure how much oxygen would be in there). Not sure if there is much of a way to actually reach the flashpoint in the location that the canister is mounted in though. I think the Bentley recommends this be changed every 30,000 miles or so, maybe it was 60,000, my bentley isn't handy. It is really a time based thing though like brake fluid.

dave