Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Nov 2000 21:05:39 -0500
From:         Sharon Simpson <tobygun@EROLS.COM>
Subject:      We got it! 82 turbo diesel westy

Well we picked it up today. Or rather had it towed to our house today. The interior is cleaning up like it was brand new. I washed the curtains and they survived the washing machine. They are the original curtains and look brand new. Even the curtain for the sliding door and the front window are there. We found the snap in screen for the back hatch. It has never been used! The stove has never been used. It still has the plastic wrap on it. We plugged in the utilities and switched the fridge to 120v. It is as cold as the fridge in my house. It even made little tiny ice cubes in the tiny ice trays that are in it! The fridge also runs off propane if we want. The pop top only has 3 small holes in it. We are still not sure where the bus originated from. The PO was in the military so it could have been shipped from Germany. We still haven't been able to contact that person. Anyway needless to say we are extremely happy for the grand sum of $150 and a 35 tow since the guy who had the bus is friends with a towing company owner. Oh the best part of the story! When my husband was driving over to our house with the bus the tow truck driver said he had a 1985 VW Quantum with a diesel engine with 30,000 miles with a blown tranny. He was going to junk it. He told my husband he can have it whole or just come take whatever he wants off of it. Grand total for the Quantum $100. The VW Gods are smiling on us tonight! We will be taking the engine and fuel pump and whatever else we might need. Thanks for listening to my story. I'll let you know what finally winds up being the problem with the bus. Hope to have it ready for Everybus 2001!!! Finally no more camping in a tent

Sharon and Gary Simpson 82 turbo diesel westy "Bird"