Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Nov 2000 00:21:46 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: It simply stopped running, please help
Comments: To: Hans Roos <dudecati@YAHOO.COM>
Comments: cc: dudecati@yahoo.com

Hmmm could be a lot of things... when my 88 Syncro still had a boxer the plug for the distributor popped out and caused the same problem you are describing - *hopefully* it could be that simple! Could be a lot of things - fuel pump, ECU, bad ground to ECU. Take a timing light with you and see if you are getting spark when you crank it? Take a test LED or multimeter and see if there is 12V at the fuel pump or listen to see if the fuel pump is making noise. To make the engine run, you need air, fuel, spark - mind you at the right time and right amount!

Good Luck!-- David Marshall - Volkswagen Enthusiast - Quesnel, BC, nada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 79 VW Iltis, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westfalia -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --

Hey Guys and Gals,

I was driving my 89 Syncro home today and it simply stopped running. It was as if I had turned off the key. Luckily I was able to coast off of the freeway and park it off the road - where it sits now. It cranks fine but will not run. It was running just perfect before it quit, any ideas? Please respond directly to this email address, dudecati@yahoo.com, as I receive my vanagon emails a my work address and I won't be able to check that until Monday.

Thanks! Hans dudecati@yahoo.com