Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:06:10 -0800
From:         pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re E4 Wiring.

Hi Volks,

WRT the H4 wiring. I recommend using at least 16AWG to wire those new sockets. You can buy male spade lugs to fit into the existing harness and thereby jumper the old 9004 socket to the new one. Just crimp or preferably solder the lugs onto the new wire pieces. Generally you can slip the connectors out of the new plugs you bought by carefully depressing the catch device with a small (0 or 00) flat blade screwdriver or a trained cockroach. Then open the connectors and remove them from the original wire. You can then solder the connectors onto the other end of the 14AWG harness you just fabricated and re-insert them into the plastic housing. Viola, a jumper set! (Viola is the trained cockroach)

I bought a prefabbed harness designed to carry the higher current necessary for running 100/90W H4s. If you like I'll post the mfg and the p/n.

Jxxxxx on the list, (I don't recall his name) will be offering custom harnesses soon.

The objective is better lighting. The existing DOT rectangulars have a very poor reflector design. Adding more powerful lamps to these reflectors is a lot like giving strong coffee to a drunk. When you're done you're out the cost of the coffee and you now have a wide-awake drunk on your hands. Add more lumens and you get a brighter example of really bad light pattern design.

The EURO code E-Code reflectors are interchangeable physically with the DOT ones and offer a tremendous increase in lighting effectiveness using the normal 60/55 H4 lamps provided by the various vendors. Smacking into only one full 55 gal trash can at 40MPH in poor visibility more than offsets the cost of the upgrade.

I personally feel that the optimum system for the "tall" vanagon involves independently aimable high and low beams. When one adjusts the 7" round or the rectangular beam one must compromise between the high beam pattern and the cutoff pattern of the low beam. For an effective cutoff pattern, the high beams are useful for disturbing owls. With a properly positioned highbeam the cutoff pattern is useful for jacklighting tarantulas ten feet in front of the car.

The problem is that the manufacturer has to assume a mounting height for the lens design. For most of the 7" round euro code headlights this height is much lower than the location of the Vanagon headlights. For the rectangulars, I hope the designer took the mounting height into consideration as these lights are Vanagon specific, if not, back to the owls and spiders.

Marchal in all their wisdom made a 7" round headlight called an AmpiLux. It had a complex reflector set up that used two H1 bulbs per headlight. For endurance racing where the headlights are often no more than 12" above the ground the high beam can be adjusted to fit the location. The inverse of course works for the vanagon. That's the good part. The bad part is the last set of these that sold on Ebay went for more than a set of E-code rectangulars and they were "used in good condition".

So maybe the answer is what the Quattro Rally guys did in the eighties. Junk the original headlights. Mount six Cibie Oscars on the front and wire to suit your photon preferences. With the lamps full on you draw 130x6 or 780w just for the lights. BUT, the illumination problem vanishes.

Hella makes a set of auxilliary driving lights approved by all 50 states that nicely fill in the gap of the original rectangulars and coupled with 100W in the square highbeams you already have there's plenty of light.

Personally, I have used sharp cutoff European headlights for thirty years on a wide variety of vehicles and for poor weather driving I would have nothing else. A flat topped beam with 90w (relay driven) provides a clearly superior lighting solution for inclement and city conditions. High beams are for dark two-lanes and off pavement. Since most of my driving is of the urban or freeway type in all weather my investment goes for the sharp cutoff, bright solution.

As usual YMMV and we'll keep the light on for ya.

pensioner