Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Nov 2000 12:29:53 -0500
From:         Javier Zavala <zavlomja@EC-RED.COM>
Subject:      Peruvian Westy

Hi volks:

I have just purchased what seems to be a problem, err....Westy and already started with a grand opening.... Hope that you guys, with all the knowledge that I`ve been able to read this past days thru the list, can help me solve the problems.

All family were going for a weekend in a nearby location, but just going out of my city when I felt a loss of power together with a sssss at higher rpm`s then turned to see the temp but the red light was on, also battery light (seems that, at the same time, the battery also run out of charge) and I kind of didn`t understand right away what happened; anyway the only thing left to do was to park and that I did. Steam was coming out of the external vents and I jumped out to have a first check; Radiator water was leaking a little and I had the chance to touch and find out it was ....COLD, went to the rear and checked the tank behind the license plate, it was full with water and the temperature was mild, instead of that, the other tank inside the engine compartment was boiling without water!!!! Towed the Westy to my friend`s Workshop and they have everything worked out of the block, there was a leak in the head area that turned to be a torned out head that could and was welded. Now the problems begin.......

1) There is no chance to get the gaskets for the job, so we are thinking of making them out of some substitute, of course not the rubber thing that is.

2) Still don`t know what caused the problem 3) What are the functions of that red light at temp`s gauge.

Other considerations are that the water pump is a rebuilt (and think that for the number "n" time), Radiator is not in it`s best condition and the rest of the system is fine.

Really hope that you can help track and solve the problem.

Muchas Gracias,

Javier Zavala Fono:(511) 9696933