Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:31:41 -0800
From:         Zoltan <zol@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: inventions are incremental - Zoltan
Comments: To: Jonc <jonc@VALLEY.NET>

The tire was invented by a French dentist who wanted a little softer ride for hid son's bike and put some garden hose of the old rubber kind around the wheel. That way he did not even need to have it inflated. That is where Michelin got the idea. I think. The carburetor was Hungarian invention, when the guy walked by a flower shop seeing the girl in there using a little device into which when you blow air in a cloud of perfume appeared the other side. Took him a while to create the working unit, which is now residing in the Smithsonian. I read this forty years ago in a book. It was also a French medic who invented the guillotine. Mr. Guillotine. He really did not do it for health reason. And "first do no harm" by the Hippocratic oath did not bother him either like most of his other followers. And it was a French guy who invented the reinforced concrete too, when after he got tired of having his large plants break the concrete barrels as they grew, he put steel barrel rings around it and casted a new one that never again broke. The gasoline around the world is called "benzine", probably because it has something to do with Mr. Benz. Although in America it is "gasoline", in the other English speaking countries "petrol", in Europe proper it is "benzine". I don't know what it is called in South America. The presently used engines are called "Otto" motors, for it was Mr. Otto who invented or patented it first. It is close to 150 years old now, and while it is perfected to it's today's performance, has not been replaced yet. Mr. Wankel did the rotary engine which really has not taken off for it had much trouble with cooling and other things for it is a high rev motor. He has died a few years ago. And as you all know the VW engines were first designed by Ferdinand Porsche and his son followed him who has just recently died. Serving their country did not do them a lot of good either. Of those Germans Werner von Braun did best who was only 25 when became the director of the rocket program in Germany and later he was the director of NASA and made all those Apollo rockets and put the man on the moon with your money. He died a few month ago. He was not really an original American person so he has not been loved and respected by the people here. He was not even known really. Although he took up his new citizenship fifty years ago. The Lunar Mobil was designed by a Hungarian at Boeing and led the team which made it. He died last week here in Seattle. I knew him personally. He was a diamond between stones. And I don't just mean his professional life. A kind old wise man with immense knowledge of many things. A humble person who knew the difference between 0-100 in his personal life too. Edward Teller and his friend - can't think of his name now - has invented the atomic bomb. Also Hungarians but the Israelis will probably claim to be one of theirs, only there was no Israel those days yet. But it was the Chinese who invented the Zero three hundred years before Jesus. Can you imagine life today without the zero. Someone would have invented it I'm sure by now. Guttenberg did not invent the printing, he only made it popular in Europe. He was the first in Europe. It was already long done in China. He merely copied the Chinese system and did the same himself. The Gun Powder was invented in China too. The Dynamite is from Sweden. Mr. Alfred Nobel. Which he was when he realized his terrible deed, he founded a prize for the diamonds of humanity and ever since there is Noble Prize for many good guys. He does not have to feel so bad anymore since the Atomic bomb and the even worse Hydrogen bomb has over taken his achievement a trillion times. You may want to know that the ball point pen is a Hungarian invention too. Made by Mr. Biro. Who is not even known for his invention in Hungary by the masses because he patented and marketed it here in the US. But he lives in Hungary now. It's cheaper there. The matches is also Hungarian by Mr. Irinyi Hollywood was also started by the escaped Hungarian film industry. George Cukor, the Korda brothers and more I just don't recall. They were always Democrats. New York's Governor is Hungarian. (No Vanagon connection.) And it goes on and on... Some of you may not have known some of these above. By the way I am also a Hungarian invention with German influence. As you may have guessed. Sorry I got a little carried away. Zoltan '82 Westy '78 Bus '98 Jetta (for sale) Etc., etc. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonc" <jonc@VALLEY.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 8:30 AM Subject: inventions are incremental