Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:25:30 -0500
From:         Joe Romas <jromas@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: cleaning the AFM
Comments: To: Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM>

Bradley,

I just went through this on my 84. Remove the black plastic top by gently lifting the edges going round it until it's off. Remove the plug from the ECM. Then put a OHM meter across pins 15 & 19 of the plug from the ECM, I cut small strips of copper and inserted them into the plug to hook the meter to. At rest mine read about 500 ohms. I then rotated the wiper by moving the tab on the opposite side of the arm. As I rotated it, the resistance rose until about 900 ohms then it went sky high then settled in again about 1100 ohms and continued to rise. I knew that the dead spot was my problem. I had cleaned it several time with no luck. I then was determined to fix it or brake it trying. I sprayed some electronic cleaner on a clean cotton rag. There is just a little room to clean so I moved the wiper as I rubbed hard the area behind it as I moved it. I then had to correct adjustments I made to get around the problem. Be careful not to bend the or mess up the wiper. Use RTV to reseal the lid as you don't want it getting wet or dirty in there. Mine now runs perfectly, I could not find anything in the archives on how to tell if it was the problem and needed cleaning and the Bentley is not much help on this one.

Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bradley Flubacher" <flubach@HOME.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 7:10 PM Subject: cleaning the AFM