Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:21:13 -0800
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Headlight improvements IMHO
Comments: To: Richard O'Halloran <ohalloran@IATRONET.NET>

> I have my Hella E-code H4s but I haven't yet installed them because the > stock wiring to the headlights in the van seems to be a much thicker gauge > than the wiring on the H4 connector plug that I bought.

I found that the H4 connectors that are sold at the FLAPS are less robust (smaller wires and less substantial contacts) than the stock H4 connectors so I went to a junk yard and got some off something (I forget what make/model... wasn't a Vanagon but it was a VW product)... cleaned them up with contact cleaner, cut the old 9004 connector of and used crimp connector & soldered & sealed water tight with 'liquid electric tape'...

It is also possible to keep your 9004 connectors if you think you might ever want to go back to you original headlights or switch back if you sell your van... just splice in the new connector rather than cutting the old one off.

Another option is to put male spade connectors on the ends of the new H4 plug wires and push these into the 9004 female slots... but I don't like this solution because (1) there is more resistance in this connection than a soldered connection (2) this connection is subject to corrosion due to exposure to weather (3) one of the problems with the 9004 in the first place is the small size of the connectors... more resistance... and you certainly would not want to ever go to the 100 watt H4 bulb with the high resistance of these small connectors... would generate quite a bit of heat and then add to corrosion problems.

Bill