Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Nov 2000 01:38:20 -0600
From:         Hydesmith <hydesmith@MAC.COM>
Subject:      circulating anti-freeze heater for VW Vanagon

Advice please: A few of us up here in Winnipeg are watching the forecast. Just as we were fearing, they're predicting a return of winter this year, just when we had forgotten what it was and were basking in the disappearance of the mosquitos.

So, with visions of cold-starting vehicles, we're thinking of installing in-line circulating heaters in our coolant (we call it anti-freeze) lines. We figure they are the best solution to the Vanagon's lack of frost plugs, the usual location for block heaters. The circulating heater is probably about 1000watts or something. We have not bought them yet, but they're common on tractors and the like. So, the question is 'where to put the thing'. We figured anywhere in the system might be OK, and if so, how about near the front of the vehicle? This might be easier to install and gives a plug-in on the front of the vehicle. If elsewhere, exactly where and how to perform the surgery? Advice accepted gladly. ...... scalpel? -- B Hydesmith/83 Westfalia/Winnipeg/MB/Canada/hsc@mac.com Winnipeg Volkwagenverein: wvwv@egroups.com _____________________________________________