Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:21:39 -0600
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Am I sick?
Comments: To: 2000 <paradigm@MC.NET>

At 10:33 PM 11/6/00 -0600, 2000 wrote:

>Here I sit. 160,000+ miles, a little rust and a dent here and there - >and wounded Vanagon with plastic over the window. Is it time to "let it >go" (my fourth bus/vanangon)? What can I buy? Test drove a few things. >Don't like anything. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not even (god forbid) >a sports car.

If you're trying to compare anything available today to a vanagon, forget it. Once you're hooked, you're hooked.

>Can I live without driving my Vanagon everyday? Will I lose my identity? >My soul? It just so damn fun to drive. I probably will not get my money >out of it in the future. Maybe 15 more years from now? Maybe some. Does >it matter? But I just can't give it up (I'm laying on my back on the >couch now). Am I sick? God help me!

When the motor let loose on turd, I was forced to drive my Cherokee. The 2 hardest things to get used to are not being high enough over the road, and not having the other rare Vanagon drivers (like you) wave when passing.

>But then I thought to myself: "What else is there in life?" Really. You >know what I mean?. What else is there? Kids are grown and almost gone. I >mean hey: what else is there?

Not a damn thing!

Trust a fellow "Van-fanatic", you don't want to give up the van. Fix it if you must, even make it show quality, but don't store it. I drive my VWs from Montgomery to Lincolnshire,IL whenever they are running. Life is just a little bit sweeter when you can spend the commute home decompressing in a cool car that you love. My Jeep has power everything, A/C, killer stereo, easy to run through a car wash design, tilt, cruise, and a good 4WD system, but I still miss driving my no power anything, no A/C, whimpie stereo, only wash by hand, huge steering wheeled, no cruise, 2WD Vanagon. It defines me as a non-conformist, ex-hippie, all around cool guy. Plus, being a camper, it always freaks-out the over-conformist types here at work.

Fix it, love it, drive it.

Chris Smith Outer Chicagoland '82 westy '74 Thing