Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:29:17 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Return to the wasserleaker club

Volks,

With only 65,000kms since a head job (192,000kms total since new) I have bad feelings of deja vu (sp?)presently... My '92 WBX has had the annoying habit of the coolant light blinking on occasions over the past few months with the header tank a little on the low side but the expansion tank level never getting down. Have never been able to find a leak but have always kept an eye out naturally expecting the worse.

Anyway,yesterday the van wouldn't start for my wife and she called the local road service.Van finally started but don't think it had anything to do with the surly turd that attended her.On the way home the blinking light came on again...

Had a look this morning and tried to start the van.Engine didn't want to turn over but was trying to. Hmmm Huston,we have a problem. Finally the engine did manage to turn over but didn't quite sound right. Went to the back of the van to see white smoke (well,coolant vapor more precisely) pouring out of the tail pipe and more evaporating off the exhaust below #3 cylinder.

Finally I think I know where my mystery slow coolant loss has been going-out the tail pipe.The leak below #3 has just occurred but I guess it's now reached the terminal stage.

Given the AMC heads have relatively low "kilometerage"as it were on them, I'm kinda hoping that maybe it's the head gasket & related O rings that have let me down instead of the head but naturally I'm keen to hear from anybody who has suffered similar symptoms and what the diagoisis ultimately was.

All replies gratefully received and feel free to burst my bubble of self denial if it really is more likely to be the head instead of the gasket.I think I'm big enough to take it...:(

Thanks for listening,

Steve O. Blue Mountains NSW Aust. '92 Transporter @#$%ing Wasserleaker '76 Transporter Double Cab '68 Beetle '00 Transporter 5Cyl Double Cab (work truck) '48 Fairmont M-19 Speeder