Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2000 10:40:59 -0800
From:         Gregory Baskin <baskin@MYREALBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: poptop canvas installation

What about mildew? I assume the Subrella would be better.

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:43:35 -0500 From: The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM> Subject: Re: poptop canvas installation

> Do you mean the style of top you installed is not what BD sells now? > Ron?

Yes, I am using a different poptop canvas supplier now due to the unreliability of the supplier who made Karl's canvas. The one I use now has been making poptop canvas for about 15 years (they have more experience with it than anybody else), and is the same company that supplies West Coast Metrics, Rocky Mountain Motorworks, etc. (The only difference is that I sell the canvas for a lot less money.) Basic installation is the same as Karl described, and it also has 3 windows like the one Karl installed. It is available in tan or gray.

The main difference is in their choice of stock material. Whereas my other supplier favored Sunbrella, this supplier prefers to use 100% cotton canvas (with Sunbrella offered as an option). Sunbrella is a synthetic fabric mainly used for marine applications, and it's biggest selling points are that its color won't fade after prolonged exposure to the sun, and that it is very water-resistant (hence the name Sunbrella). My present supplier feels that the sun-fade issue is not one of importance with poptop canvas, because unlike, say, a boat sail, it is not exposed to a hot beating sun 15 hours every single day (perhaps just a few days a month), so any fading would not even begin to occur for many years anyway. On the other hand, they argue that Sunbrella has no give in the fabric, while cotton does, making the cotton canvas easier to install, and easier to fold when closing the poptop. So they feel that Sunbrella's advantages do not outweigh its disadvantages when used for poptop canvas. My feeling is that while I slightly prefer the look of the Sunbrella (a bit "smoother" texture compared to cotton-based canvas), I also concur that it's no-fade properties are of little value in this application, and therefore would probably have to weigh in on the present supplier's side with regard to the utility of canvas vs. sunbrella. Regarding use in rain, I have used the cotton canvas and never had it leak even when the top was up during pouring rain; Sunbrella could be expected to be at least as good. So presently, the "stock" canvas I sell is cotton, but Sunbrella is available optionallly for a bit more money if desired.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW