Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:05:58 -0800
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Halon Fire Extinguishers in Vanagons
Comments: To: PSavage <psavage@saber.net>

Since the subject of fire extinguishers has come up I will re post the following regarding my engine compartment fire alarm.

Bill

Volks, thought I would share the project that I finished today:

In installed two 194 degree F heat activated switches in the engine compartment of my 90 Westy Syncro. If the engine compartment gets up to 194 degrees the switches complete a circuit that activates a loud piezo buzzer that I installed under the dash.

(Please don't tell me about Halon systems.. they are way expensive, illegal in some start, the fumes are toxic, and the don't work well unless you are dealing with an enclosed space (the Halon flows down and out the bottom of the engine compartment).

This competes my three point strategy for the infamous Vanagon engine fires: 1. MOST IMPORTANT.. Prevention. Check those fuel lines to make sure they are not dried out or cracking or worse seeping fuel. Replace all fuel lines if any of the above. It may be a good idea to replace the fuel lines at 10 years regardless of how they look. 2. FIRE EXTINGUISHER behind the driver's seat... A fire extinguisher that has a pressure gauge that confirms it is well charged. (I have two... one behind the driver's seat and one in its original location behind the passenger seat.) 3. QUICK RESPONSE: There have been reports of people driving their Vanagon down the street noticing that the engine is running ruff for some time before just happening to look into the side mirror to the horror of smoke and flames! This is the propose of my fire alarm... to get my attention before flames are flying out of the air intakes.

So the alarm sounds, I pull over to the side of the road, turn off the ignition (important)(even better to turn off the ignition immediately if you can coast to the side of the road), open the door, grab the fire extinguisher behind the driver's seat (don't have to walk around the van to get the one inside the slider door), open the license plate access, and empty the extinguisher into the engine compartment.

Parts Used: 1 Piezo Buzzer from Radio Shack... (large one, louder) (about $4) 2 Aqualarm Fire Detectors model 204A--190 degree (#204 is 135 degree)($17 each) (Aqualarm phone 619-575-4011, or try West Marine 1-800-262-8464 for special order... Aqualarm model 204--135 degree is West Marine model 105470 but this is NOT the one you want; I just include it to give them a clue at West Marine.) About 30 feet of wire... #16 would work well since the piezo uses way less than 1 amp.

I pulled power off one off the fuse block under the dash. One 12v power wire goes into the piezo red wire (don't wire backwards since piezos are one way), out the piezo black wire, under the van (I installed 6 wires in a conduit between the engine compartment and the dash last winter), and to the two detectors at either side of the engine compartment. A ground wire connects the two detectors to the screw that holds the engine ground to the sheet metal. That's it. When the temperature goes over 194 degrees F the switch(s) connect the 12v wire that is routed through the piezo to ground.... and you get a loud noise.

Note: Last May/June on a trip to Arizona I had the remote sensor of a digital meat thermometer in the engine compartment... it never got over 160 degrees F... even at 100 degrees outside and the engine running in low gear along dirt roads or while idling in 100 degree weather. So I believe the 194 degree switch is well suited to the task.

Please note that I make no claims that this set up will actually work to help you get early warning for fires in your van... I am not a mechanic or a fire detection expert. This is still experimental for me since it has not actually detected a fire. If you choose to use the information that I present here you are on your own and must be responsible for your own actions.

Bill 90 Westy Syncro

----- Original Message ----- From: "PSavage" <psavage@saber.net> To: "Bill Davidson" <wdavidson@thegrid.net> Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 10:48 AM Subject: Re: Halon Fire Extinguishers in Vanagons