Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2000 12:33:06 -0800
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Of Porsches, Porta-Potti's, wives and toolboxes...

I own two Vanagon campers (one with a porta-potti), a Porsche and some tools. Thus I feel qualified to comment on the following:

The Porsche, while a large enough vehicle in which to haul the porta-potti, admittedly falls short as a viable water closet. Too much glass, too little space. Especially a 914, with only 2 seats. And changing diapers is not really feasible, either, though I've never actually tried it. (doing so implies an infant, which I lack for the experiment)

The Vanagon, on the other hand, makes a perfectly adequate commode when there is no other option. My porta-potti, which I used to use in my '82 Adventurewagen (still have, BTW), works quite well if the directions for chemical addition are followed. No smell, no mess, and you simply empty the holding tank portion as you would any RV holding tank.

The Vanagon also makes a great toolbox, holding tools as large as table saws and small lathes when required to do so. And if they are campers or Weekenders, diaper changing tables are included.

As to whether a Porsche, wife, toolbox, and porta-potti are are mutually exclusive, I can't really comment as I have only 3 out of 4 of those items.

Dan

'87 Westfalia '82 Adventurewagen (will someone PLEASE take this thing off my hands?!) '75 Porsche 914

Donna Stewart wrote:

> Besides, Vanagons are very handy for hauling yourself and your kids around in; Porsches would quickly become boring (as well as no room for the kid(s)). Ever try to change a diaper in a Porsche? Also, the porta-potty Phaedra mentioned earlier won't fit in the Porsche - but fits great in the Vanagon. Very handy for my son when he was growing up - he liked it so much he even wanted to use it when we were near public bathrooms. A lifesaver when we were out in the Navajo Res. in AZ - public restrooms aren't exactly common out there. Put a Porsche engine in your Vanagon - problem solved! > > >>> PSavage <psavage@SABER.NET> 11/09/00 11:42AM >>> > Gentlemen & Larry Hamm, > Women do not "get a child"--they become pregnant with one--with your help. > They carry & give birth to a child that is *yours, > as well as their's. > Phaedra > > < Larry Hamm <ldhamm@XMISSION.COM wrote> > > <Keith, > > RUN, RUN AWAY FAST!! If your wife-to-be ever gets a child, you'll NEVER > have a Porsche! You have to get the Porsche before the marriage, and then > it's "grandfathered" in. Look for a lady who digs Porsches, not so big on > kids. > Larry>

-- Dan __________________________________________________ Dan Schmitz - Genentech Automation Engineering djs@gene.com (650) 225-6119 __________________________________________________

"I'll so offend to make offense a skill Redeeming time when men least think I will"

W. Shakespeare Henry IV, Part 1