Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:02:51 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: jackstands vs. ramps
Comments: To: Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM>

At my former employer's truck yard, they had made a set of wood ramps for smaller bob trucks to elevate their back doors to reach the loading dock. Making a smaller version of this to drive the vanagon's front or rear wheels up on to get underneath access.

Basically, they alternated yellow pine 2x10"s with 2x4"s stacked vertically and bolted/nailed/screwed together. Theirs were wide enough for dual wheels, but I don't see why a Vanagon ramp would need to be that wide, maybe 12" or so. Not sure what it would cost, but it wouldn't slide unless the ramp angle were too steep, and then I'd add some of those stairstep adhesive backed friction strips to the bottom for adequate resistance. Could laminate a couple of them long enough to drive the whole van on maybe but unsure as to how much they'd weigh much less cost. I guess you could make 4 or them and see if the non synchro would climb up on all fours, but it's got to be cheaper than a hydraulic hoist. Finding room to store all that wood,well, there's another problem!.

If I didn't verbalize the construction of this ramp very well, I apologize. I'm not a carpenter by any stretch, but using maybe 4 2x10's with 2x4's stacked vertically every foot or so(acting as spacers) , you could economize on the wood and allow for drainage if they were left outside when not in use. I guess you could buy some rough cut solid wood fo this(we used that for the trailer wheel chocks), but I would think that to be more expensive. Anybody ever tried this?

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel -----Original Message----- From: Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, November 09, 2000 6:25 AM Subject: Re: jackstands vs. ramps