Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2000 13:50:20 -0800
From:         JJ <kelandjj@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Winter Storage delimma (rather long, but worth it!)
Comments: To: Alli Dahlin <treetop_84@HOTMAIL.COM>

I'm glad this got brought up. I, too, live in the Minneapolis area and have been in a quandry about storing my van.

I've got an '85 Westy in excellent condition with no rust that I bought from a fellow in the Detriot area last April. He had only used it for camping and kept in his garage the rest of the time, starting it up every few weeks. Fast forward to now: here we are in November and I live in an apartment bldg in Minneapolis. Does the Westy sit out on the street for the winter? I cetainly don't want to drive it on salted roads!

I decided to store it for the winter. After looking in the paper and calling many ads for storage facilities (I still have the numbers, Alli, if you're interested), and after reading all the archived messages on winter storage from the Vanagon list over the last 4-5 years, I was left in the following prediciment:

I don't have the time, resources, or know-how to do all the things suggested for storing a van for the winter. Besides the fact that, if you do rent a storage facility, there's no way they'd let you spend several days out there taking care of things like these:

- put the van up on blocks to save the suspension and tires - Slacken ALL of the valve adjusting screws or remove the rocker arms to close the valves - Tape securely across the ventilation intake (behind the grill) with duct tape, and do the same with the exit vents (behind the rear side windows onlate models) - Tape securely across exhaust exit with duct tape - coat tires and rubber parts with glycerin - check the ethelyne glycol content of your antifreeze (the ability of your antifreeze to stay in liquid form in subzero temps...(with that big eyedropper thing) proir to storage - lube everything that moves - take the van to a anti-rust place for spraying (I hve since been informed that these "anti-rust" places don't do any good anyway...)

BUT, I had figured out that, in addition to starting up the van every couple of weeks and letting run until the heater blows hot air, I would be able to do these things:

- Change the oil - Fill gas tank and add 'Stabil' - Remove the battery - Remove all the removeable cushions - Leave the fridge, water tank, cabinets, etc. cracked open - Leave a few windows slightly open - Release the handbrake - Run the motor at a HIGH rev without an air filter, and spray a fogging lubricant into the intake until the motor chokes off. This will lubricate all of the intake components, coating them with a sticky gel. Replace the air filter, and tape across the intake securely with duct tape.

Pretty much all of these storage places are set up such that once you park your vehicle, you can't get to it until next April. In other words, once it's in, it ain't gettin' out until the spring. (My VW mechanic says they "stack 'em like cord wood..", referring to how they park the vehicles in these facilities.) Several of the proprietors were willing to at least let me come in and start up the van occasionally, but very few. And, this is not to mention the fact that most of these storage places are at least 1/2 hour from the city and not convenient by any means.

During this time, I also figured out that I may need to access the van and actually use it over the winter. I'm in an acoustic-rock duo whose only only other car is a Geo. We need the van to haul our PA and equipment occasionally. So, a winter starage facility was pretty much out of the question.

My next move was to try and find a garage to rent here in the city. I figured, although more expensive (most of the winter storage places were around $150 for the season, and garages are usually around $50/month), a garage would be the perfect solution. The van would be out of the elements, yet accessible and convenient. Well... little did I know I was in for another delimma: all the garages I tried were too short! I've checked on at least 4 or 5 so far, and every time the door itself is about 2" too short to fit a Westy with a pop-top! ARRGH! :( Now, I always ask first if the door has a 7' clearance -- most don't, and the ones that do (usually underground garages in apt bldgs) are $75/month, and some are $90/month! Sorry, but I can't afford that.

So, to make a long story even longer, I am right back where I started. No storage space and no garage. Should I spend the money I would have spent on rent for one of those really nice van covers in the Bus Depot? Maybe... but I'm concerned about putting one of those on the Westy while it sits on the street. Will it stick out like a sore thumb to cops who think it's been left there for the winter? (I've already gotten one written warning about moving my "abandoned" vehicle within 48 hours...)

I am totally at a loss. My last resort, out of desparation, was to have my sister, who lived in the Twin Cities area for almost 10 years, to email all her friends here and ask them if they have a 7' garage they'd be willing to rent. Haven't heard a thing back...

So... if anyone from the list has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Alli - if you're okay with leaving your van someplace for the next 6 months and having no access to it, than there are tons of places out of the city where you can do so. As I said, most are around $150 for the season, aren't heated, but are covered (it's inside storage) and very dry. The only thing is: it's getting pretty late in the year and a lot of places want to have all the vehicles in their facility by the first of November. Let me know if you want some phone numbers...

Thanks to all who have read this far. I've been meaning to write about my troubles for a few weeks now, so thanks to Alli for the impetus.

JJ '85 Westy

--- Alli Dahlin <treetop_84@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > Hello all, > > It looks like winter is finally upon us all in > Minnesota, and I better get > moving on storing my Westy. This is the first > winter having her, so I have > some questions. > > What all needs to be done before storing her- fluids > drained/changed, etc. > > Heated or unheated storage garage? Does it need to > be inside, or are those > outdoor RV/boat storage areas OK? > > Also, does anyone in the Minneapolis area recommend > a storage facility? > _________________________________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at > http://www.hotmail.com. > > Share information about yourself, create your own > public profile at > http://profiles.msn.com.