Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2000 19:24:31 -0500
From:         TieDye <boomin@EPIX.NET>
Subject:      Rear Carpeting/Customization...

Recently I had purchased new carpeting for two rooms in my house, after installation I had a piece large enough to fit the cargo area of my GL. I took two layers of the foam backing, a thin piece of canvas (army tent material) and a traced out piece of cut carpet, and with an industrial stapler... stapled all 4 layers together, and placed in my GL perfect. I removed the wall panels, and rear seat (middle seat was gone for a while) and used these items to firm up the carpet and give it a professional look. I also did something a little different with a sheet of plywood and some wood trim to enclose the bottom of the rear seat, I cut out a square where the heater blower pushes air, and two ovals on each side of the board to hold speakers, under the seat with the ample room there... I placed a hundred watt amplifier, and secured the works in place with a board behind the seat posts.

the O's below are the seat posts, and will show how I secured this...

===================== <- board 2 inch longer then the space of seat posts O =============== O =============================== <-panel where speakers are

I placed carpet over the panels, cutout the speaker and floor vent slots... and have closed in that compartment of the van. The board in top of drawing was 2 inch by 1 inch trim boards, and if this is placed above heater cutouts, will hold the panel there firmly... how I attached all of this together was with 4 bolts from a swingset, with a butterfly nut on the inside... making it easy to remove the panel to get inside (i keep a pouch of tools, and spare tubing and stuff behind on the side with no amp)

If anyone would like to see what I've done... I will take pictures tomorrow... I plan to anyway :)

TieDye ( E-Mail - boomin@epix.net or tiedye@webtrek.org) 1984 VW Vanagon (1.9l) Owner

Http://www.usa20.com - Boomin HTML Design - Affordable Website Design Http://www.VWTrek.Com - FREE Volkswagen Website Hosting! - Webmaster Http://www.webtrek.org - Webmaster

Do You IRC? /server irc.worldirc.org then join #HippyZone!