Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Nov 2000 21:11:13 -0500
From:         Joe Romas <jromas@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why has the list been so quiet lately/ 1.9TD
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>

David,

TDI's are very legal in both New York and California. It's VW's problem, something to do with average fleet pollution. And rumor has it they will again be sold there. And in Europe they have some standard called a EURO4 and one of the vw family's diesel meets it. It's done with cleaner fuel so better catalytic converters can be used and something called PD. Less then 50 PPM sulfur (soon to be 10 ppm) rather our then 500 PPM. For more factual reading on diesels try http://www.tdiclub.com/

Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Marshall" <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 8:51 PM Subject: Re: Why has the list been so quiet lately/ 1.9TD

Dealing with engines "out of the box" the 2.0L Audi or Golf engine would be a better choice for both Horsepower and Torque.

ENGINE HORSE POWER TORQUE 2.1 WBX 95@4800 117@3200 1.9 TD 75@4200 111@2400-3400 2.0 Audi 115@5400 122@3200

Yes there is a little more torque on the TD @ 2400 RPM than the 2.0L Gasoline but the 2.0L gasoline engine can be had for about $900 USD (Campbell Nelson in WA) where the 1.9TD is about three times that price! It will take a lot of fill ups at the pump to make the TD pay off. Recently there has also been a lot of talk about how harmful Diesel emissions MAY be as compared to gasoline. I guess the TDI is not for sale in CA or NY but the 2.0L gasoline motors are...

Both engines are really good engines, but the gasoline motor is better suited for the gears and tires that you have install on there now as it is very close to the wasserboxer in the HP and Torque peaks.

My $0.02 worth anyhow!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3 mailto:info@fastforward.ca http://www.fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

. Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions . Transporter, Unimog and Iltis Sales . European Lighting for most Audi and Volkswagen models

I would like to do a diesel conversion in my syncro. Torque and economy! Where do you by a new 1.9 one andwhats the downside. I have been looking at the TDI, but sort of pricey and possibly complex. Chime in Y'all. Duncan