Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:24:35 -0700
From:         Kw <kokopellis@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Porta Pottie policy on public lands (No VC)
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@HIWAAY.NET>

Years past when the population was lower, public lands seemed endless and inexhaustible, rivers were free and permits to float them easily obtainable. Porta potties were commonly used military rocket boxes lined with trash compactor bags. At the end of a trip, the bags of waste were deposited in the nearby trash dumpster. Out of sight out of mind.

The land management agencies have changed policies in the last few years. No longer are these old rockets boxes acceptable mainly because the local landfills DO NOT want these bags-O-dung in the waste stream. (No human excrement in landfills)

The BLM, USFS and other land management agencies (NPS, State parks, state land managers) require porta potties to be the dumpable type. NO more bags are allowed and they check on this when you show up.

This issue is happening all over the western US especially high use areas, rivers and permitted trips like the White Rim bicycle trip. Surface agencies request that porti potties be used which are emptied at RV dumps. With the millions of people crawling over public lands in the west, the days of a shovel TP and a Bic lighter are mostly over.

Anyone ever camp at a place where the previous campers deposited little surprise "monuments of moments well spent" all over the area. Rodents tend to dig up these treasures and eat the dung, and spread the TP all over. (Reason to burn it first).

Anyway, on public lands with remote camping, the management agencies would like to see porti potties that remove the waste from the area. There are just too many people out there these days to keep ahead of natural decomposition of waste and TP especially in arid desert areas where decomposition may take years for a single piece of TP.

I went on a 4 days canoe trip once where one of our group used a 1 gallon glass mayonnaise jar to carry his personal excrement. He even cleaned it out for reuse at trips end. Just don't drop it. I think I would have opted for a plastic jar.

Pack it in, eat it, pack out the dung. Ken Wyatt 82 westy SLC, UT -------------------------------- John Rogers wrote: But most convenient for me to avoid having to go out into the night is a sheerock mud bucket, a plastic bag liner (clipped section) Cheap, sits at a convenient height, can be emptied by removing the bag with the contents. I leave it to your own innovation as to how to dispose of the bag.