Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:38:17 PST
From:         james pound <jamespound@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      coolant leakage

Recently I experienced a coolant leak on my '85 Vanagon GL. I found a large pool of coolant under my Van one afternoon and assumed that a seal of hose somewhere in the system had either come undone or cracked.

I took it to my local VW Dealer first and was told the Water Pump had seized and needed to be replaced. The price was pretty steep fromm the dealer so I took it to a different VW mechanic to have the part replaced. Now the Van runs smoothly and quietly and I haven't noticed any more leaks.

However, after reading the article on head leakage I am wondering if the waterpump may be the problem after all. I haven't been appraised of any other problems by weither the dealer or the other VW Mechanic I used, but I didn't ask them to look for anything either.

Does a failing water indicate a problem in the cooling system that could be related to/suggesting head gasket leakage/problems? Or is it simply something that fails every now and then?

I am wondering if I should have the heads inspected just to be sure.