Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:42:00 +0000
From:         Dave M <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM>
Subject:      NY to AZ 2600 mile trip report

Hi All, Recently completed a cross-country trip from New York to Arizona in my 1987 Wolfsburg. Covered just over 2600 miles in seven days. Passed through New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. The entire journey was made on interstates with the occasional detour to seek out gas, restaurants and motels.

I made stops in Harrisburg PA, Columbus OH, Altamont IL, Sarcoxie MI, Elk City OK, Santa Rosa NM, and Gallup NM.

Santa Rosa and Gallup NM are great places to stay in a genuine Route 66 motel and to see the old route 66. I stayed at the American Inn in Santa Rosa and El Capitan in Gallup.

Sidewinds were a problem on stretches in Oklahoma and New Mexico. The many long hills in New Mexico made evident the Vanagons embarrassing lack of power. Cruising at 70mph the speedo would fall to 35mph with no change in throttle and all the vehicles I had passed in the last 5 miles overtook me.

Mechanical problems: none. Average cruising speed was 65-70 mph and covered about 350 miles per day. Overall gas milage was 18mpg. This was carrying a full load (van full of luggage back to front, floor to ceiling) I did not encounter a single other Vanagon on the entire trip.

- David (1987 Wolfsburg "The Bismarck")