Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:13:29 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Alternative wheels for the vanagon-corrections
Comments: To: BenTbtstr8@aol.com

In a message dated 11/10/00 4:41:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM writes:

<< I placed a link in my webpage to go to his site. I also made some changes to the pages and started an alternative wheels page that I was talking about last week. Thanks to Chris Tuner and Lee Roesner (lee's wheels to be added soon) for their contributions. Now I have something to start with.

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html"> http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html</A> >>

hi, ben, i just wanted to correct the subtitles under the pics.. you have them flip-flopped.. the top pic w/ the silver van has the 6 spoke 15" "aero" Audi turbo alloys on it. these can be found on any '84-'88 audi 5000 turbo or turbo quattro. the wheels from the '89-'91 audi 200 turbo and turbo quattro are the same exact size, but they are a "webbed" BBS style alloy (not pictured). they're both 5x110 (same as vanagon) bolt pattern, with a et45mm offset, and 15" wheels. Also the spoked 15" alloys from the '81-'83 audi 5000 turbo will work, too. great thing about these '81-'91 audi 5000/200 turbo alloys, is that theyre inexpensive and easy to find as there are plenty of Audi 5000/200 turbos in junkyards nowadays.

the Audi 5 bolt wheels are a direct bolt on the rear of 2wd vans (w/o maching anything), but on the front you have to machine the centers out 2.5 ID to clear the greasecap/hub. i machined all 4 centers to make rotating the wheels easier. it cost me 10 bucks apiece ($40 for all 4 wheels) at a local machine shop. On the 2wd, you also may need to run a thin spacer up front to clear the control arm (but not on syncros i'm told) and longer bolts (use the audi lug bolts up front, theyre longer, and same thread pitch as vanagon) as well as longer studs (use Porsche 911 studs) on rear. you can get away w/o using longer studs on the rear, but i did for safety sake.

The bottom pic of the blue vanagon has the Audi A4 or A8 5 spoke 16" wheels mounted on it. Any A-series 5 bolt audi wheel will work. the ones pictured are 16" 5x7 et 38 from a Audi A8. (good luck finding those!! LOL) A4 wheels are 16" also, but et45. these are harder to find than the Audi 5000/200 turbo wheels.

Also for those of you who are considering alternative wheels, the mercedes wheels is also the same bolt pattern as the vanagon, as well as the Merkur Scorpio wheel.

chris