Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:07:50 EST
From:         Dennis Lockwood <Jshopper1@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone else have a sunroof vanagon w/ A/C???
Comments: To: JordanVw@aol.com

Chris,

I know that my reply is not exactly to your question (forgive me), but I owned a loaf van (74) with a factory sunroof back about two decades ago. I bought it used (well used), but I just had to own it because of the sunroof. The roof opening was huge, about 4 feet by 4 feet. After I owned it for a few months, I notice that the roof was not closing quite all the way. It had a crank at the front of the sun roof opening that could be reached from the driver's seat while driving. Probably due to cable stretch, every time that you would open the roof, it would close about 95% of what it closed before. It only took three of four of these cycles for me to see the pattern that was developing. In the winter the van was really chilly with the sun roof always open. Also the rain would get in. I decided that the cheapest solution was to stuff three or four dry cleaner's plastic bags into the gap, which worked for the most part. The bags tended to blow out (to other driver's chagrin) when driving at speed and the driver's window open.

The bus also had an a/c unit. I believe that it was an aftermarket model as it was mounted from the bottom of the dash. As I recall, VW had dealer installed a/c units for their busses of this vintage. The dealer installed a/c units were roof mounted, somewhat similar to our Vanagon a/c units. This dash mounted unit cut into leg room and was not very comfortable.

As I said earlier, this bus was a piece of junk by the time that I got to it. I nursed it along for 6 months or so and traded it in for a new 81 diesel Rabbit (another purchase mistake, but that is a story for another thread).

How is your sunroof and a/c Vanagon constructed? Is the a/c unit dash mounted? If not, how does the chilled air get to the front? Does it have a duct? I hope that this thread gets some replies.

Dennis Lockwood 91 Carat Original Owner