Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:31:39 -0800
From:         Zach Kaplan <zakaplan@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Xenon headlight bulbs... any opinions?

"K. Taylor" <res07cqd@GTE.NET> wrote:

> Anyone on the list have opinions about the new (to me, at least) Xenon > headling bulbs, such as the many being auctioned on eBay? They're the bulbs > that you may have seen on other vehicles at night with the color of the > light being almost a blue cast when compared with traditional headlights. > (It's not a blue light, but appears to be blue tinted when compared with > traditional headlights that have a slight yellowing cast to them.) Here's a > link to one of the vendors: > > <http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=491428465 > &r=0&t=0> > > My son mentioned that he had heard that the amount of light they put out > might be illegal. > > Ken

The bulbs in that ad are bogus. The packaging uses the terms "HID" and "plazma" (sic). A true High Intensity Discharge lamp uses a plasma arc tube. A relatively high voltage is passed between an electrode at each end of the tube to produce light. Several types of elements are used in the discharge tube and xenon can be one of them. No filaments are used. These HID lights put out 3-4 times as many lumens per watt as a typical halogen and last much longer. They produce a bluish-white light and are often seen on Mercedes, BMWs and other high end cars.

The bulbs in the ad cited above are simply incandescent filament bulbs of a higher wattage than normal possibly filled with xenon gas to allow the filament to run hotter without burning out prematurely and putting black deposits on the inside of the bulb. Many of the compact incandescents with quartz envelopes are filled with xenon. The bulbs appear to have blue filters on them to make people think you have genuine expensive HID headlights. This type of fake HID bulb is most often seen on "Rice Boy Cars", the cosmetically suped up small Japanese cars. There are a lot of Filipinos in my neighbourhood and many of them have these Honda Civic type cars with all sorts of spoilers and ground effects added, low profile tyres, lowered suspension and the fake HID headlights. Then there is the fellow at the end of the street that has the real thing, an Audi TT with genuine HID headlights. Their beams actually look whiter than the incandescents with blue filters.

Zach