Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Nov 2000 22:37:57 -0600
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: jackstands vs. ramps

> What is the consensus on the usefulness of jackstands vs. ramps for working > on our Vanagons? As a novice mechanic I've put off this purchase. Are both > necessary? I'm thinking brake and other wheel work will often require > jackstands to allow the wheels to turn freely, but oil changes and other > underbody work would be perhaps quicker simply to run the van up on ramps. > Adequate capacity with both types would seem to render safety a non-factor.

each is useful, but in a different way. if you have a dirt driveway, the ramps work ok, but tend to sink into the dirt a bit. the jackstands don't work as well, unless you cut some 1-inch marine plywood squares (at least 4" wider/bigger than the base of the jackstands) to put under the jackstands (a good idea anyway, as in summer heat, the jackstands can sink into an asphalt driveway).

the ramp is good if you need to work under the front or rear. but useless if you need to work under the middle.

the jackstands are good cause you can jack the bus up without moving it (or cranking it) and can be placed so as to allow access to the front or rear or the middle.

i have both, and use both. but i use the jackstands more often. but then, i have a level place to work and an asphalt driveway. if i had to, i could do without the ramp, though.

the important thing is a really good roll-around hydraulic floor jack. and the jackstands, of course. but make sure the jack can raise at least 17 inches (higher is better, but it costs more!) and will pick up at least 2 tons (more is better but the jack is bigger and heavier and harder to roll around. and costs more).

now, one thing that is a real pain in the ass is to have to pull the handle off the jack and use it to unscrew/screw the valve (in the hydraulic lift mechanism). so make SURE you get a jack where the valve is opened/closed by simply twisting the handle!!! that is critical to your liking to use the jack. with the twist valve, the jack is actually fun to use ... without it, it's a real pain. :(

as for oil changes, you don't even need either ramps or a jack! that's what i love about buses!! all you need is a cardboard box (flattened out) to lay on (helps greatly on cold and/or damp ground!), a pan of some sort to catch the oil in, and a 13mm socket/ratchet or wrench to undo the oil drain plug, and some sort of wrench or whatever to undo the oil filter. there's plenty of room under and around the bus to get to all the places necessary. :) the ONLY thing that is a tad dangerous is the exhaust pipe ... but with a bit of care, you can avoid being burned on it. or wrap a damp towel around it before you start working. :)

hope it helps. good luck! joel