Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:35:18 -0800
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Halon Extinguishers, etc.
Comments: To: "James S. Cohen" <jscohen@SPRYNET.COM>

>But the key here is SMOTHERING a fire. Bill could be right about flare-ups since Halon doesn't actually COAT the flammables with anything (which is PRECISELY why it will do less damage to your Vanagon). If you have a Westy and your curtains catch on fire, do you really want to coat the whole car with gook when you could put it out >without it?

Well, we weren't talking curtains...

We were discussing engine fires that occur while you are driving. We were talking about an automatic Halon system that would discharge in the engine compartment while you are driving. In that event, if you do have a flare up after discharge I hope you are carrying a back up fire extingusher... otherwise the choice of Halon in order to avert corrosion will seem mighty foolish as you sit there on the side of the road and watch your Vanagon go up in a ball of flames. :(

>So let me know where I can get a Halon.

From what I have learned it seems that the origina formula of Halon is not available unless you find some old fire extinguishers... in which case you should take them to the fire department and ask them to get rid of them because this stuff is indeed hightly toxic.

The reformulated Halon is available at Marine stores like West Marine. Beware the automatic valved ones... I noticed that the West Marine one will discharge at about 175 degrees.... I have measured engine compartment temperatures at about 160 in the desert in the summer... 15 degress does not seem like enough margin to me.... false discharges likely.

>When my '86 burned up it was atypical as the fire started under the dash from an electrical spark. The single most important factor was that when I grabbed my extinguisher, NOTHING CAME OUT!!! It didn't have a dial gauge but the stupid button that sticks out and you're supposed to push in monthly to test. Well that only works if it >doesn't lose it's gas between TESTS!!

Best to get the fire extinghishers with the pressure gauge... then you can see if it still has pressure or not... even then they should be serviced every few years because the powder can settle to the bottom and cake up such that it doesn't come out when you want it to... I buy my fire extinghishers (house and auto) at the local shop that specializes in them (avoid Wal-Mart, etc as they only carry the cheepies that are not rechargeable)... they also do the recharging and check seals at the same time. And date them so you know how long it has been since last serviced.

>The fuel pump cut-off is less useful since the FP cuts out when you >turn off the ignition.

That assumes you are 1) aware there is a fire back there in the engine compartment... most reports I've read on the list say they were not aware of it for quite some time... and 2) that you think to turn of the ignition in a panic situation where you are trying to get to the side of the road.... seconds are crutial... Also, we were talking an automatic Halon discharge... by the time you get to the side of the road the Halon could have been blown out of the engine compartment and a flare up in progress as the fuel pump continues to feed the fire.

>And, it would be hard to OVER protect yourself by carrying several extinguishers. I carry two bigger ones and a little one for a kitchen >fire.

What kind do you carry?

Bill