Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Nov 2000 14:25:16 -0800
From:         Bill Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Halon Extinguishers, etc.
Comments: To: "James S. Cohen" <jscohen@sprynet.com>

> To me, there seems like too much can go wrong with an auto system. > However, I guess since there is little consequence from an accidental > discharge, it can't hurt.

Well, it would hurt if it discharged automatically and you didn't know it... then you wouldn't have the protection you though you had... but I think these systems come with a discharge warning light/buzzer...

> >I buy my fire extinghishers (house and auto) at the local shop that > >specializes in them (avoid Wal-Mart, etc as they only carry the cheepies > >that are not rechargeable)... they also do the recharging and check seals at > >the same time. > >And date them so you know how long it has been since last serviced. > > THIS IS REALLY GOOD ADVICE!! I have bought mine at Wal-Mart, but why > be cheap about something SO important? Spend more and cry ONCE. For > home, garage, and Vanagon.I realize that I shouldn't be trying to do > this the cheap way. > > What kind of shop is that? Is it a specific "Fire Extinguisher" shop? > What should I look for in the Yellow Pages?

Yes. There are companies that specialize in fire extinguisher sales and service. Mostly they sell to businesses. They will go to an office building and supply and service all the fire extinguishers... they recommend service every 2 years. These guys tend to sell only the best equimpment... fire marshall approved stuff. You will find such a company in the yellow pages in most decent sized communities I would think. They likely sell Halon fire extinguishers too... or can order them if they don't stock them... also these guys are typically good for solid advice regarding the various types of fires and extinguishers. Another good source are the Marine Shops.... they don't mess around with cheap stuff in the marine environment!

> >>The fuel pump cut-off is less useful since the FP cuts out when you > >>turn off the ignition. > > > >That assumes you are 1) aware there is a fire back there in the engine > >compartment... most reports I've read on the list say they were not aware of > >it for quite some time... and 2) that you think to turn of the ignition in a > >panic situation where you are trying to get to the side of the road.... > >seconds are crutial... > > I think it's pretty likely that one will turn off the ignition. But > even so, the complications of an AUTO FP cut off are daunting. Hmmm > although I could imagine looping the 12V wire to the FP through the > engine compartment so that any fire would burn it in half and cut the > power to the FP.

The 12v feed to the fuel pump already goes through the engine compartment but by the time a fire burned it in half the Van would likely be a gonner I would think.

> >Also, we were talking an automatic Halon discharge... by the time you get to > >the side of the road the Halon could have been blown out of the engine > >compartment and a flare up in progress as the fuel pump continues to feed > >the fire. > > So a something would have to be worked so that when the Auto system > discharges it automatically cuts the power to the FP. I can see that > with the alarm system as well.

Yes, it would be easy. Any fire alarm system would utilize 12v... (my system posted the other day or the warning light/buzzer from an automatic halon system). Just route the 12v that is switched on by the heat sensor through the actuator circuit for a normally closed relay that you wire in the fuel pump power supply... then when there is an alarm the relay will open the circuit/shut the power to the fuel pump off.

> What kind do you carry? > > The cheaper Wal-Mart ABC with a gauge. But I'm rethinking all of > this. I also carry a tiny one for kitchen fires,and the same in my > Corrado. > > What is your recommendation?

Well, right now I have the fire alarm that I designed in my engine compartment. I think early warning is critical... only 2nd in importance to prevention by installing new fuel lines. I have a BC behind the driver's seat for quick access on my way to the license plate door... and I have an ABC in the stock location by the slider door as a back up and for cabin fires....

...but after all this discussion I've been looking at the 5lb Halotron I for $120 that West Marine sells (wondering how long the charge lasts and if they have to be serviced like powder extinguishers do).... think I'll go by the Fire Extinguisher Shop and ask them what they recommend and see if their prices are better (West Marine tends to be great quality, but a bit high priced.) If I got a Halotron I would likely put it behind the seat where the BC is now. Also a remote/manual system would be a possibility too.

Bill